A person jumps from the roof...Calculating Leg Force during Deceleration

• Thread starter esong
  • Start date
In summary, a person jumps from the roof of a house 3.9 m high. When he strikes the ground below, he bends his knees so that his torso decelerates over an approximate distance of 0.73 m. His average force exerted on his torso during deceleration is -51.8424658 Newtons.
esong
A person jumps from the roof...

Homework Statement

A person jumps from the roof of a house 3.9 m high. When he strikes the ground below, he bends his knees so that his torso decelerates over an approximate distance of 0.73 m.

- PART A If the mass of his torso (excluding his legs) is 40 kg, find his velocity just before his feet strike the ground.

- PART B: If the mass of his torso (excluding his legs) is 40 kg, find the magnitude of the average force exerted on his torso by his legs during deceleration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done PART A, and got 8.7 m/s. (or [tex]\sqrt{2*9.8*3.9}[/tex]))
I tried to get the acceleration during the deceleration by using the equation
(vf)^2 = (v0)^2-2ad
2a(.73m) = (8.7m/s)^2
a = 52.35
And multiplied the acceleration by the mass (40 kg) to get 2094 N,
but the program says I'm wrong! What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can see you are putting the numbers in wrong...

I get
(vf)^2 = (v0)^2-2ad
0 = -(8.7m/s)^2 - 2a(.73m) <= REMEMBER that vf is 0 and vi is 8.7
2a(.73m) = -(8.7m/s)^2
a = -(8.7^2)/(2*0.73)
a = -51.8424658
40a = -2073.69863N

I don't know about the numbers, but you are neglecting the weight of the person during impact. 2100+/- Newtons is the net force acting during the deceleration. That is not the the 'leg' force.

Sorry, but that's still the wrong answer.
Besides, the answer is a positive number.

esong said:
Sorry, but that's still the wrong answer.
Besides, the answer is a positive number.
Your acceleration value is OK, but you won't get the right answer for the leg force until you draw a free body diagram of the person's torso and note the forces acting on it. One of those forces is the force of his legs on the torso. What's the other?? Then, use Newton's 2nd Law to solve for the leg force. Mind your force and acceleration directions.

Last edited:

Related to A person jumps from the roof...Calculating Leg Force during Deceleration

1. What is the impact on the body when a person jumps from a roof?

When a person jumps from a roof, their body experiences a sudden and forceful impact with the ground. This can result in various injuries, such as broken bones, sprains, and bruises. The severity of the impact depends on the height of the roof and the surface the person lands on.

2. Can a person survive jumping from a roof?

It is possible for a person to survive jumping from a roof, but it greatly depends on the height of the jump and the surface they land on. In general, the higher the roof, the higher the chances of sustaining fatal injuries. However, factors such as body position and landing surface can also play a role in survival.

3. How does the height of the roof affect the outcome of a jump?

The height of the roof greatly impacts the outcome of a jump. A higher roof means a longer fall and a greater impact on the body. In general, the higher the roof, the more severe the injuries sustained. It is important to note that jumping from any height can be dangerous and potentially life-threatening.

4. What are the risks associated with jumping from a roof?

Jumping from a roof carries many risks, including serious injuries and death. These risks are amplified by the height of the jump and the landing surface. Even if a person survives the jump, they may sustain long-term injuries and disabilities that can greatly impact their quality of life.

5. How does body position affect the outcome of a jump from a roof?

The position of the body during a jump can greatly affect the outcome. A proper landing position, such as bending the knees and rolling upon impact, can help distribute the force of the impact and minimize injuries. However, if a person lands in an awkward or unprepared position, they are more likely to sustain serious injuries.