A philisophical Heisenberg and Zeno question

In summary: The wall is 10 meters away from Achilles, but Achilles can't reach it because he only has a finite amount of time in which he can move.
wolf921
Hello this is my first post.
I am a 15 year old 10th grade student in a philosophy program and now we are studying the famous Greek philosophers.

I have a problem that was asked by a teacher that I would like to answer. And although I have tried I have not come up with an answer on my own so I could use some help.

The question:
Can you disprove the Philosophers Parmenides and Zeno in your choice of either a logical reasoning way or a mathematical way?

If you don't know Parmenides said that all movement and change is merely an illusion. Zeno fortified his explanation with a few paradoxes. Since I am more interested in math I want to disprove Zeno mathematically.

Zeno's Paradox is this an athlete is attempting to run from the starting line to the finish line. In order to accomplish this, he must first run to the half-way point of the course. And once there, he must run to the 3 quarters point of the race. And after that he must somehow arrive successively at the 7/8ths, 15/16ths,31/32nd... point in succession. Indeed, this poor athlete must traverse an infinity of points just to finish the race. No matter how close our oily friend is to the finish line, he still has to run half the distance remaining before he can finish the race. Big problem--an infinity of points to traverse. But turning the problem around leads to the difficulty that our racer can't even start the race. In order to get to the 50 percent mark, he must first get to the 25 percent. And to get there he must manage to crawl to the 12.5 percent mark. And so on. To move the first angstrom, he must somehow be able to move the first half an angstrom.

I don't know how to disprove this. I could take the easy way and logically disprove them but this is interesting to me.

My first thought was to find if there is any length that is indivisible. Well not theoreticaly. But may be in the real world. Can anyone help me out?

The del X of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle:
After doing some research I found this theory (that I have never herd of) which after trying to learn about just confuses me. I am not stupid (well maybe compared to the people on the web site) I understand how atoms and sub atomic particles work, or i thought i did until I read this...

If some one could explain to me how to disprove Zeno it would be a great help. I would like if at all possible to understand the Heisenberg theory if it would be helpful to disprove Zeno. If there are any other more obvious ways to do it please tell me. The thing is that Zeno makes sense, but we all know he is quite wrong.
Thanks in adavance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wolf921 said:
Zeno's Paradox is this an athlete is attempting to run from the starting line to the finish line. In order to accomplish this, he must first run to the half-way point of the course. And once there, he must run to the 3 quarters point of the race. And after that he must somehow arrive successively at the 7/8ths, 15/16ths,31/32nd... point in succession. Indeed, this poor athlete must traverse an infinity of points just to finish the race. No matter how close our oily friend is to the finish line, he still has to run half the distance remaining before he can finish the race. Big problem--an infinity of points to traverse. But turning the problem around leads to the difficulty that our racer can't even start the race. In order to get to the 50 percent mark, he must first get to the 25 percent. And to get there he must manage to crawl to the 12.5 percent mark. And so on. To move the first angstrom, he must somehow be able to move the first half an angstrom.
It's really not a problem to traverse an infinite number of points. Actually, having an infinite number of points between any two given (not equal) points fits nicely in our sense of continuity. (We view space as continuous).
However, if I recall correctly, Zeno's problem was that it would take an infinite amount of time to get from A to B, because you have to reach an infinite number of other points in the process. That's where the error lies, taking a sum of an infinite number of terms does not necessarily yield an infinite answer.

I won't get too mathematical here (although it's not that difficult), but suppose Achilles wants to reach a wall 10 meters ahead of him. He starts walking with a constant velocity of 1 m/s. Common sense tells us this should take 10 seconds.
He has to traverse half the distance first (5 m), then half of that (2,5 m) and so on. The time he takes for a given distance is distance/velocity.
So the time he takes is:
[tex]t=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}10\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^n\frac{1}{1}=10\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2^n}=10(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{8}+...)[/tex]
You may notice that the more terms you add the longer t gets, but that it will never be greater than 10 s.
As a matter of fact, you can get as close to 10 s as you like by adding enough terms.
In any case t cannot be infinite.

Also, when you're dealing with an infinite sequence of events, it is no longer necessary for there to be a "first" or a "last" event.

Zeno has the unstated assumption that you cannot pass an infinite number of points in a finite time.

(How did Heisenberg get into the title?)

Related to A philisophical Heisenberg and Zeno question

1. What is the philosophical concept behind Heisenberg and Zeno's question?

The philosophical concept behind Heisenberg and Zeno's question is the idea of uncertainty and the paradox of motion. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that we cannot know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Zeno's paradox argues that motion is an illusion, as in order to reach a certain point, one must first reach the halfway point and so on ad infinitum.

2. Can you explain the connection between Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and Zeno's paradox?

The connection between Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and Zeno's paradox lies in the idea of uncertainty and impossibility of knowing the exact position and momentum of a particle at a given time, as well as the concept of infinite divisibility in Zeno's paradox. Both concepts challenge our understanding of reality and the limits of human knowledge.

3. How does the Heisenberg and Zeno question relate to quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg and Zeno question is closely related to quantum mechanics, as both concepts deal with the fundamental principles of the physical world and the limitations of human perception and understanding. The uncertainty principle is a key principle in quantum mechanics, while Zeno's paradox raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of observation in shaping it.

4. What is the significance of the Heisenberg and Zeno question in philosophy?

The Heisenberg and Zeno question have significant implications in philosophy, particularly in the areas of metaphysics and epistemology. It challenges our understanding of reality and the limits of human knowledge, raising questions about the nature of existence and the role of perception in shaping our understanding of the world.

5. How do scientists and philosophers approach the Heisenberg and Zeno question?

Scientists and philosophers approach the Heisenberg and Zeno question from different perspectives. Scientists use mathematical models and experiments to understand the principles behind Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and how it relates to quantum mechanics. Philosophers, on the other hand, use logic and reasoning to explore the implications of these concepts and their significance in our understanding of reality and the nature of knowledge.