A plastic rod 1.9 m long is rubbed all over with wool

In summary: The correct answer is approximately <61.03, 51.83, 0>. In summary, a plastic rod rubbed with wool acquires a charge of -6e-08 coulombs and is divided into 8 pieces to calculate the electric field at location A = <0.7, 0, 0>m. Approximating each piece as a point charge, the electric field at location A due only to piece 2 is approximately <61.03, 51.83, 0>.
TehFabled

Homework Statement

A plastic rod 1.9 m long is rubbed all over with wool, and acquires a charge of -6e-08 coulombs. We choose the center of the rod to be the origin of our coordinate system, with the x-axis extending to the right, the y-axis extending up, and the z-axis out of the page. In order to calculate the electric field at location A = < 0.7, 0, 0 > m, we divide the rod into 8 pieces, and approximate each piece as a point charge located at the center of the piece.
16-051-Erod_8_pieces.jpg

Homework Equations

76lPiQzjZWA-JPsZnPgpvw_m.jpg

Pythagorean theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Found the length of a single section of the rod to be .2375
B) length from the center to the center of section 2 to be <0,.594,0>
C) Charge on piece number 2 to be 7.5e-9
D) Approximating piece 2 as a point charge, what is the electric field at location A due only to piece 2?

This is where I got stuck
Found the unit vector to be (.762, .647, 0)
I plugged in my values to the point charge formula multiplied by the unit vector and got <-61.03,-51.823,0>
I don't know where I've gone wrong. Tried redoing the same steps in another version of the problem, and can't get the solution

TehFabled said:

Homework Statement

A plastic rod 1.9 m long is rubbed all over with wool, and acquires a charge of -6e-08 coulombs. We choose the center of the rod to be the origin of our coordinate system, with the x-axis extending to the right, the y-axis extending up, and the z-axis out of the page. In order to calculate the electric field at location A = < 0.7, 0, 0 > m, we divide the rod into 8 pieces, and approximate each piece as a point charge located at the center of the piece.
16-051-Erod_8_pieces.jpg

Homework Equations

76lPiQzjZWA-JPsZnPgpvw_m.jpg

Pythagorean theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Found the length of a single section of the rod to be .2375
B) length from the center to the center of section 2 to be <0,.594,0>
C) Charge on piece number 2 to be 7.5e-9
D) Approximating piece 2 as a point charge, what is the electric field at location A due only to piece 2?

This is where I got stuck
Found the unit vector to be (.762, .647, 0)
Check the sign of the components.
TehFabled said:
I plugged in my values to the point charge formula multiplied by the unit vector and got <-61.03,-51.823,0>
I don't know where I've gone wrong. Tried redoing the same steps in another version of the problem, and can't get the solution
You have a sign error. And also some minor rounding errors.

1. How does rubbing a plastic rod with wool create static electricity?

When a plastic rod is rubbed with wool, electrons from the wool are transferred to the rod. This causes the rod to become negatively charged, while the wool becomes positively charged. This separation of charge creates static electricity.

2. Why does the length of the plastic rod matter when rubbing it with wool?

The length of the plastic rod affects the amount of surface area that can come into contact with the wool during rubbing. The more surface area that is in contact with the wool, the more electrons can be transferred, resulting in a greater buildup of static electricity.

3. Can any type of plastic rod be used for this experiment?

Yes, any type of plastic rod can be used for this experiment as long as it is an insulator. This means that it does not conduct electricity and allows for the buildup of static charge. Common types of plastic used for this experiment include PVC, acrylic, and polyethylene.

4. How long does the static electricity last on the plastic rod after it is rubbed with wool?

The length of time that the static electricity lasts on the plastic rod depends on various factors, such as the type of plastic and the humidity of the surrounding environment. In general, the charge may dissipate quickly or last for several hours.

5. What are some practical applications of this experiment?

This experiment demonstrates the principles of static electricity and can be used to power small devices, such as a homemade electroscope. It is also used in industries such as printing and painting to remove static charges that can interfere with the process. Additionally, it can be used to create fun science experiments for educational purposes.