A problem about a moving nickel coin - help/advice

• Thread starter archivlad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nickel
In summary, the problem involves a nickel coin rolling without friction on a horizontal plane, before encountering an incline. The goal is for the coin to reach a height of 0.5 mm, and the question is what should be the maximum angle of inclination for this to occur. The given information includes the diameter and thickness of the coin, its starting speed, the rotation frequency and friction force, as well as the nickel density. The suggested methods for solving the problem include conservation of energy, Newton's laws, and laws of mechanical motion.
archivlad
Please, help me with this:

Homework Statement

A nickel coin with diameter 2 cm and thickness 2 mm starts to roll with no friction on a horizontal plane with spped 10 cm/s. At 55.2 cm from the beginning the plane is inclined up. For the coin to go up to height max= 0.5 mm, what should be the maximum angle of inclination ? The rotation frequency is 1/2pi (s^-1), and the friction force down the inclined region is constand with f = 7.5 mikro Newtons.

also, the nickle density is 8.9 g/cubic cm

Homework Equations

conservation of energy, Newton's laws, laws of mechanical motion

The Attempt at a Solution

I receive an angle of ~40 degree, but I think something's wrong. Thanks for the advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi archivlad! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a pi: π :wink:)
archivlad said:
A nickel coin with diameter 2 cm and thickness 2 mm starts to roll with no friction on a horizontal plane with spped 10 cm/s. At 55.2 cm from the beginning the plane is inclined up. For the coin to go up to height max= 0.5 mm, what should be the maximum angle of inclination ? The rotation frequency is 1/2pi (s^-1), and the friction force down the inclined region is constand with f = 7.5 mikro Newtons.

also, the nickle density is 8.9 g/cubic cm

conservation of energy, Newton's laws, laws of mechanical motion

Yup … conservation of energy is the way to go!

Show us what you tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

As a scientist, my first piece of advice would be to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. It's important to be precise and accurate when solving problems in physics.

Next, I would suggest using the laws of mechanical motion, specifically the conservation of energy and Newton's laws, to analyze the situation. The coin's motion can be broken down into translational motion (linear movement) and rotational motion (spinning). The coin's translational kinetic energy will be converted into potential energy as it goes up the incline, while its rotational kinetic energy will remain constant.

To find the angle of inclination, you can use the conservation of energy equation: mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iω^2, where m is the mass of the coin, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height it needs to reach, v is the coin's speed, I is the moment of inertia of the coin, and ω is the angular velocity.

You can also use Newton's second law, F=ma, to find the net force acting on the coin as it goes up the incline. The friction force and the component of the coin's weight parallel to the incline will act in the opposite direction of the coin's motion, while the normal force will act perpendicular to the incline.

By setting up equations and solving for the unknown angle, you can determine the maximum angle of inclination needed for the coin to reach the desired height. Remember to take into account the density of the nickel coin and its dimensions to find its mass and moment of inertia.

In conclusion, it's important to approach the problem systematically and use the appropriate equations to find the solution. If you're still unsure about your answer, you can always ask a classmate or your instructor for help. Good luck with your problem!

1. What could be causing the nickel coin to move?

The most likely cause of the nickel coin's movement is external forces acting upon it, such as air currents or vibrations. It could also be due to the surface it is resting on not being completely flat.

2. How can I prevent the nickel coin from moving?

To prevent the nickel coin from moving, you can try placing it on a flat, stable surface and minimizing any external disturbances. Additionally, you can use an adhesive or weight to keep the coin in place.

3. Why is it important to investigate this problem?

This problem may seem small and insignificant, but it could be indicative of larger issues with the environment or equipment. Investigating it can help identify potential hazards or malfunctions.

4. Can the movement of the nickel coin be a sign of a larger problem?

Yes, the movement of the nickel coin could be a sign of other underlying issues. It could be a sign of instability in the surface or environmental factors, or it could be a sign of a malfunctioning machine or equipment.

5. How can I use my scientific knowledge to solve this problem?

As a scientist, you can use your understanding of forces, motion, and experimental design to investigate and solve this problem. You can conduct experiments, gather data, and analyze the results to determine the cause of the coin's movement and find a solution to prevent it.