A problem in rigid body dynamics

In summary: The impulse from the collision is assumed to be very brief, i.e. an unlimitedly large force acting for an infinitesimal time. Since the impulse is horizontal, it does not affect the normal force, so that, and hence the corresponding friction, remain strictly limited in magnitude.
vijayramakrishnan

Homework Statement

A disc of mass M and radius r is kept on a horizontal,frictional plane and is connected to a horizontal spring at the centre.A particle of mass m strikes the topmost point of the disc,tangentially and sticks to it.Assume that the mass of the particle is m and it's velocity is v.Find out the velocity after the collision.Can you apply the law of conservation of angular momentum?if so write down the equation and find ω of the system.[/B]

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum
conservation of angular momentum[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that conservation of momentum and conservation of angular momentum should be applied.
initial angular momentum = mvR
let vf be the final velocity of topmost point and vcm be the velocity of centre of mass of disc.
conservation of angular momentum about centre(not centre of mass as it changes after particle strikes)
final angular momentum should be moment of inertia about centre of mass of disc (angular velocity) + m vfR

vf = vcm + ω(distance of centre of mass from particle)

conservation of momentum:
mv= Mvcm + mvf

but in my book it is written that in momentum conservation mv=(M+m)vcm
i don't understand it aren't they moving with different velocity,so individual momentum should be added or momentum of centre of mass should be taken.
Also correct any of the other steps which i have done wrong
Please help
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with both of your equations (linear and angular momentum). I cannot explain the book's equation.

haruspex said:
I agree with both of your equations (linear and angular momentum). I cannot explain the book's equation.
thank you very much sir for replying.

I thought conservation of angular momentum cannot be applied since there is friction?

kinemath said:
I thought conservation of angular momentum cannot be applied since there is friction?
The impulse from the collision is assumed to be very brief, i.e. an unlimitedly large force acting for an infinitesimal time. Since the impulse is horizontal, it does not affect the normal force, so that, and hence the corresponding friction, remain strictly limited in magnitude. As a result, the contribution to momentum is negligible.
That said, it does bother me that the question specifies a frictional surface. Either that is a trap, making you think you do need to consider friction, or they should have specified something more like a toothed gear set on a rack.

1. What is rigid body dynamics?

Rigid body dynamics is a branch of mechanics that studies the movement and behavior of solid objects, assuming that they are rigid and do not deform under external forces.

2. What are some real-life applications of rigid body dynamics?

Rigid body dynamics has many real-life applications, including analyzing the movement of vehicles, predicting the behavior of structures such as buildings and bridges, and understanding the motion of celestial bodies in space.

3. How is rigid body dynamics different from other branches of mechanics?

Rigid body dynamics is specifically concerned with the movement of solid objects, while other branches of mechanics may also consider the effects of deformation, fluid flow, or other factors.

4. What are some common problems encountered in rigid body dynamics?

Some common problems in rigid body dynamics include determining the forces and torques acting on an object, predicting its motion and stability, and analyzing collisions between objects.

5. What are some techniques used to solve problems in rigid body dynamics?

Techniques used to solve problems in rigid body dynamics include vector and matrix algebra, Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and numerical methods such as finite element analysis.