A problem involving 'stress' and possible moment of force(?)

In summary: What would be the torque balance equation for the point where W is attached?...1. It would be necessary to calculate the tensions.2. The torque balance equation would be ##T_P * x = T_Q * (L-x)##
JC2000
Homework Statement
A light rod of length L is suspended from a support horizontally by means of two vertical wires P and Q of equal length as shown in the figure. Cross-section area of P is half that of Q and Young's modulus of P is double that of Q. A weight W is hung on the rod as shown. Find the value of x in terms of L so that the stress in P is the same as that in B.
Relevant Equations
## Y = \frac {F L}{\Delta L A}##
Stress = F/A

Given, ##2A_P = A_Q## (cross-sections) ... (1)
and, ##Y_P = 2Y_Q## ... (2)

We have ##\frac {Y_P * x}{\Delta L} = \frac{Y_Q (L-x)}{\Delta L}##
Using (2) in the above expression we get ##x = L/3## whereas the correct answer is ##x = 2L/3##

I feel my initial idea is flawed, and that I am overlooking something (?)
Thank you for you guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
JC2000 said:
Problem Statement: A light rod of length L is suspended from a support horizontally by means of two vertical wires P and Q of equal length as shown in the figure. Cross-section area of P is half that of Q and Young's modulus of P is double that of Q. A weight W is hung on the rod as shown. Find the value of x in terms of L so that the stress in P is the same as that in B.
Relevant Equations: ## Y = \frac {F L}{\Delta L A}##
Stress = F/A

View attachment 243586
Given, ##2A_P = A_Q## (cross-sections) ... (1)
and, ##Y_P = 2Y_Q## ... (2)

We have ##\frac {Y_P * x}{\Delta L} = \frac{Y_Q (L-x)}{\Delta L}##
Using (2) in the above expression we get ##x = L/3## whereas the correct answer is ##x = 2L/3##

I feel my initial idea is flawed, and that I am overlooking something (?)
Thank you for you guidance.
As you posted, stress is F/A. How is that affected by the modulus?
You seem to be making the strain the same.

Likes JC2000
Stress = Strain * Y?
Thus if stress is the same then Strain*Y should also be the same?

If I compare Stress P to Stress Q, the relation between the areas is given, but the Force on P and Q would have to be calculated (or rather the tension) which I am not sure how to...

JC2000 said:
Stress = Strain * Y?
Thus if stress is the same then Strain*Y should also be the same?

If I compare Stress P to Stress Q, the relation between the areas is given, but the Force on P and Q would have to be calculated (or rather the tension) which I am not sure how to...
You have assumed the change in length is the same, i.e. the strain is the same.
Forget about strain and modulus; just work with F, A and stress.

Likes JC2000
In that case :

Let the force on the two wires be ##T_P## and ##T_Q##, since the stress is the same on both wires
##\frac {T_P}{A_P} = \frac{T_Q}{A_Q}## where ##2A_P = A_Q##.

I realize that the forces on the wires will differ (hence the change in length differs) but I am not sure about how to calculate the forces (which is how the lengths get shoehorned into the equation?)...

I understand that the weight W would be distributed between the wires (assuming the rod has negligible mass).
If the weight was in the middle then W/2 would be the force on each wire, since it is x units from P and (L-x) from Q would this mean that the force on P be W/x and on Q by W/(L-x) ?

(Oof! Realised this does lead to the answer!)

I have some intuition as to why W is distributed as it is, but I am unable to put it explicitly. Would appreciate help in doing so.
Thank you!

JC2000 said:
why W is distributed as it is
Take moments about the point where the weight is attached.

Likes JC2000
So, If the moment of force has to be calculated for P about the point of attaching W it would be Wx? Likewise for Q it would be (L-x)W? How so?

In which case we have Moment of Force = Force * Distance but we need the force (= tension)...(?)

Really sorry for muddling up the basics here...

JC2000 said:
the moment of force has to be calculated for P about the point of attaching W it would be Wx?
No. W has no torque about its point of attachment. What force acts on the rod where it is attached to P?

Likes JC2000
haruspex said:
No. W has no torque about its point of attachment. What force acts on the rod where it is attached to P?
The tension and gravity?

JC2000 said:
The tension and gravity?
The rod is massless. There are three forces acting on the rod, thetwo tensions and W.
W has no moment about its point of attachment, so what is the torque balance equation about that point?

Likes JC2000
Ah! I think I see now!
Since the rod does not rotate, the torques acting on it must be equal :
Thus, ##T_P * x = T_Q * (L-x)##?

JC2000 said:
Ah! I think I see now!
Since the rod does not rotate, the torques acting on it must be equal :
Thus, ##T_P * x = T_Q * (L-x)##?
Right.

Likes JC2000
Phew! But...
1. Say you had to calculate the tensions, is it possible? If not, what information would be required? How?

JC2000 said:
Phew! But...
1. Say you had to calculate the tensions, is it possible? If not, what information would be required? How?
You know the sum and the ratio.

Likes JC2000
haruspex said:
You know the sum and the ratio.
I see the sum of the tensions being equal to W and the ratio being given by the torque relation.

Thank you for being so patient!

JC2000 said:
I see the sum of the tensions being equal to W and the ratio being given by the torque relation.

Thank you for being so patient!
It was a deceptive question because they gave more info than you needed. I approve of that because it is more like real life. The first challenge is to work out what information is relevant.
(Or maybe there are more parts to this question?)

Likes JC2000
haruspex said:
It was a deceptive question because they gave more info than you needed. I approve of that because it is more like real life. The first challenge is to work out what information is relevant.
(Or maybe there are more parts to this question?)

I see! No, this is it. Or maybe they have picked up an auxiliary problem from somewhere and used it as the main problem...

Just realized, since we know the forces on the wires now, it would be possible to calculate how much each of them extend by as well...

1. What is stress and how does it relate to moment of force?

Stress is a physical or psychological response to a stimulus that causes strain or tension in the body. Moment of force, also known as torque, is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. Stress can contribute to the generation of moment of force, as it can affect the muscles and joints in the body, leading to changes in movement and posture.

2. What are some common problems that can result from stress and moment of force?

Stress and moment of force can lead to a variety of problems, including musculoskeletal disorders, such as back pain and carpal tunnel syndrome. It can also contribute to accidents and injuries, as it can affect a person's coordination and balance. Additionally, chronic stress and high levels of moment of force can lead to fatigue and burnout.

3. How can stress and moment of force be managed or reduced?

There are several ways to manage and reduce stress and moment of force, including physical activity and exercise, proper ergonomics and posture, relaxation techniques, and seeking support from a healthcare professional. It is important to address both the physical and psychological aspects of stress and moment of force in order to effectively manage them.

4. Are there any occupations or activities that are particularly susceptible to problems related to stress and moment of force?

Yes, there are several occupations and activities that are known to have a higher risk for stress and moment of force-related problems. These include jobs that involve repetitive tasks, prolonged sitting or standing, heavy lifting, and high levels of mental or emotional stress. Examples include office workers, construction workers, and athletes.

5. How can further research on stress and moment of force benefit society?

Further research on stress and moment of force can benefit society in many ways. It can help us better understand the relationship between these factors and various health conditions, leading to improved prevention and treatment strategies. It can also inform the development of more effective ergonomic and workplace safety guidelines, and contribute to the overall well-being and productivity of individuals in various occupations and activities.