A problem on two dimensional kinematics

• Thread starter Winsy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance a block slides up a frictionless incline with an initial velocity of 5m/s. One solution involves setting coordinates perpendicular to the incline and using Pythagorean theory. However, the expected answer of 3.73m is not obtained and the use of conservation of energy is suggested as a simpler approach. Another individual attempts to solve the problem using components of gravity and velocity, but does not take into account the vertical component of the normal force. The correct approach involves resolving gravity into components along and perpendicular to the incline and using the entire magnitude of velocity.
Winsy

Homework Statement

A block is given initial velocity of 5m/s up a frictionless 20 degrees incline. How far up the incline does the block slide before coming to rest?

The answer is 3.73m.
I set the coordinates to be perpendicular to the plane instead of parallel to the incline. I calculated the vertical and horizontal displacement and then use Pythagorean Theory to evaluate how far the car goes. But I did not get the expected answer, which is 3.73. Can anybody tell me what's wrong with my solusions?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is my attempts.

Attachments

• QQ图片20151016112925.jpg
    QQ图片20151016112925.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 326
DeldotB said:
I can't read your writing but a MUCH easier way is to use conservation of energy. Think: at the top, the block is not moving, so all its K.E is converted to gravitational P.E

[Moderator: complete solution provided by DeldotB has been removed]

But why we can use the velocity directly without resolving it into x and y directions? And since my classes haven't covered the conservation of energy, I would like to see what's going wrong with my answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winsy said:
But why we can use the velocity directly without resolving it into x and y directions? And since my classes haven't covered the conservation of energy, I would like to see what's going wrong with my answers.

v(y0)=v(0)sin20°=5m/s×sin20°=1.71m/s
since v(t)^2-v(y0)^2=2as,v(t)=0,a=-9.8m/s^2
h=v(y0)^2/2g=0.149
since a=(v(t)-v(0))/t ,t=v(t)-v(y0)/g=0.174s

v(x0)=v(0)×cos20°=4.7m/s
x=(v(xo)+v(t))×t/2=0.409m
s=√[x^2+h^2]=0.435m

That's what I've tried.

DeldotB said:
I can't read your writing but a MUCH easier way is to use conservation of energy. Think: at the top, the block is not moving, so all its K.E is converted to gravitational P.E

[itex]1/2mv^2=mgh [/itex] the m's cancell, so you have [itex] v^2/2=gh[/itex] which implies [itex] h=v^2/(2g)[/itex] Sine = opposite/hypotenuse, so [itex]sin(20)=h/d [/itex] so [itex] h=sin(20)d[/itex] substituting that into the above eqn, [itex] v^2/(2g)=sin(20)d[/itex] so [itex] d=v^2/(2gsin(20))=3.729 m[/itex]

h=v(y0)^2/2g=0.149
since a=(v(t)-v(0))/t ,t=v(t)-v(y0)/g=0.174s
v(x0)=v(0)×cos20°=4.7m/s
x=(v(xo)+v(t))×t/2=0.409m
s=√[x^2+h^2]=0.435m
That's what I've tried.

Winsy said:
a is not -9.8 m/s^2 in this situation, because the normal force also has a vertical component.

I would suggest resolving gravity into it's components along the incline and perpendicular to the incline. Then work with the entire magnitude of velocity.

Related to A problem on two dimensional kinematics

1. What is two dimensional kinematics?

Two dimensional kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects in two dimensions, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of their motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects moving in a two dimensional plane.

2. How is two dimensional kinematics different from one dimensional kinematics?

One dimensional kinematics only takes into account motion in a straight line, while two dimensional kinematics considers motion in both the x and y directions. This means that two dimensional kinematics involves vector quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while one dimensional kinematics only involves scalar quantities.

3. What are some real-world applications of two dimensional kinematics?

Two dimensional kinematics is used in many fields, such as engineering, robotics, and sports. It is used to analyze the motion of projectiles, vehicles, and athletes, and can help predict the trajectory of objects in motion.

4. How do you solve problems involving two dimensional kinematics?

To solve problems involving two dimensional kinematics, you must first break down the motion into its x and y components. Then, you can use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, along with trigonometry, to solve for unknown quantities.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving problems on two dimensional kinematics?

Some common mistakes when solving problems involving two dimensional kinematics include not considering the vector nature of the quantities, not breaking down the motion into its x and y components correctly, and not using the correct equations for the given scenario. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.