A problem that puts me in difficulty

• Thread starter DorelXD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary, the given properties of a + b = c + d and a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 lead to the conclusion that a = d and b = c. Therefore, for any natural number n, a^n + b^n = c^n + d^n. Two possible approaches to this solution are through mathematical induction or by considering the equations as differences and factorizing the second one.
DorelXD

Homework Statement

Let [itex] a,b,c,d [/itex] be real number that satisfy the property that [itex] a + b = c + d [/itex] and [itex] a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 [/itex]. Show that [itex] a^n + b^n = c^n + d^n [/itex] for any [itex] n [/itex], a natural number ( with [itex] n > 0 [/itex] ) .

Homework Equations

[tex] x^n - y^n = (x-y)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2}y + x^{n-3}y^2 + ... + x^1y^{n-2} + y^{n-1}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two ideas but I couldn't succed to apply them properly:

1) First, I'm thinking at a mathematical induction, but it seems that in this case the proof via induction isn't so straightforward.

2) Second, I'm thinking of writing that : [itex] a^n - c^n = d^n - b^n [/itex] and, then then using the formula:

[tex] x^n - y^n = (x-y)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2}y + x^{n-3}y^2 + ... + x^1y^{n-2} + y^{n-1}) [/tex]

But this dosen't seem very helpful either. The very first move I thought of making is writing that:

[itex] a^n - c^n = d^n - b^n \to (a-c)(... )= (d-b)(...) [/itex] and get rid of the first paranthesis. Unfortunately, I cannot do this because I don't know for sure if (a-c) and (d-b) are diffrent from 0.

Please, can sombeody guide me to the solution ? Are my ideas good ?

Physics news on Phys.org
DorelXD said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex] a,b,c,d [/itex] be real number that satisfy the property that [itex] a + b = c + d [/itex] and [itex] a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 [/itex]. Show that [itex] a^n + b^n = c^n + d^n [/itex] for any [itex] n [/itex], a natural number ( with [itex] n > 0 [/itex] ) .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two ideas but I couldn't succed to apply them properly:

1) First, I'm thinking at a mathematical induction, but it seems that in this case the proof via induction isn't so straightforward.

2) Second, I'm thinking of writing that : [itex] a^n - c^n = d^n - b^n [/itex] and, then then using the formula:

But this dosen't seem very helpful either. The very first move I thought of making is writing that:

[itex] a^n - c^n = d^n - b^n \to (a-c)(... )= (d-b)(...) [/itex] and get rid of the first paranthesis. Unfortunately, I cannot do this because I don't know for sure if (a-c) and (d-b) are diffrent from 0.

Please, can sombeody guide me to the solution ? Are my ideas good ?
The two properties [itex] a + b = c + d [/itex] and [itex] a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2 [/itex] involve some simple relations between a,b,c,d. What are these? (Write out the equations as differences and factorize the second one. )

ehild

Well, I'd get that:

[tex] (a - c)(a+c) = (d-b)(d+b) [/tex]

Now, if [itex] a - c = 0 [/itex] then [itex] d- b = 0[/itex] , and [itex] a = c [/itex] and [itex] b = d [/itex] . In this case, the problem statement holds. So, let's asume that a -c and d - b are both different from 0 .
Then, I get that: [itex] a + c = d + b [/itex] .

Also, by squaring [itex] a + b = c + d [/itex] and using the problem statement I get that [itex] ab = cd [/itex]

So, I found two new relations:
[tex] ab = cd [/tex]
[tex] a + c = d + b [/tex]

Is this correct ?

Wait a minute:

a + c = d + b
a + b = d + c

By summing the two relations we have that: 2a + b + c = 2d + b + c , so a = d .

If a = d then b = c and the statement is proved :) .

DorelXD said:
Well, I'd get that:

[tex] (a - c)(a+c) = (d-b)(d+b) [/tex]

and you also know that a-c=d-b. **

DorelXD said:
Now, if [itex] a - c = 0 [/itex] then [itex] d- b = 0[/itex] , and [itex] a = c [/itex] and [itex] b = d [/itex] . In this case, the problem statement holds.

well done! The other case is discussed in your next post. :smile:

ehild

DorelXD said:
Wait a minute:

a + c = d + b
a + b = d + c

Excellent! You have solved the problem :thumbs:

ehild

Thank you very much ! You really helped me. You gave me the right hint at the right time. All the best! Maybe we will see each other again around here! :) :)

See you soon:smile:

ehild

DorelXD said:
Wait a minute:

a + c = d + b
a + b = d + c

Another way: from ##a+b = c+d## and ##a^2 + b^2 = c^2 + d^2## we have
[tex] (a+b)^2 - a^2 - b^2 = (c+d)^2 - c^2 - d^2 \\
\text{ or}\\
2a b = 2 cd \rightarrow ab = cd[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex] a^2 + b^2 - 2 ab = c^2 + d^2 - 2cd \\
\text{ or}\\
(a-b)^2 = (c-d)^2 \rightarrow a-b = \pm(c-d)[/tex]
Just consider separately the two cases ##a+b = c+d, a-b = c-d## and ##a+b = c+d, a-b = d-c##.

Related to A problem that puts me in difficulty

1. What is the problem that you are facing?

The problem that I am facing is a complex mathematical equation that I have been struggling to solve.

2. How long have you been working on this problem?

I have been working on this problem for a few weeks now, but I have been stuck on it for the past few days.

3. What methods have you tried to solve this problem?

I have tried various methods such as trial and error, breaking down the equation into smaller parts, and seeking help from colleagues.

4. What are the potential consequences if this problem remains unsolved?

If this problem remains unsolved, it could delay the progress of my research and potentially impact the accuracy of my findings.

5. Have you considered seeking help from other experts in this field?

Yes, I have reached out to other experts in this field and have received some valuable insights and advice. I am currently working on implementing their suggestions to solve the problem.