A problem with Joseph Rotman's Advanced modern Algebra

In summary, the problem is to prove that p does not divide C_n^{p^r}, where n=p^rm and p is a prime not dividing an integer m>1. The hint given is to assume the opposite and use Euclid's lemma, which involves cross multiplying. The author is unsure of how to use this hint and requests for further assistance.
qinglong.1397

Homework Statement

Let [itex]n=p^rm[/itex], where [itex]p[/itex] is a prime not dividing an integer [itex]m>1[/itex]. Prove that

[itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex]C_n^{p^r}[/itex].

Homework Equations

There is a hint: Assume otherwise, cross multiply, and use Euclid's lemma.

The Attempt at a Solution

Although the author gives a hint, I still cannot figure out how to use it. I do not know what "cross multiply" means. Can anyone of you tells me? Or, can you give me another hint? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
"Cross multiply" is slang for changing an equation like [itex] \frac{a}{b} = \frac{c}{d} [/itex] to the equation [itex] ad = bc [/itex]. I suppose it could also be used to indicate changing an equation like [itex] a = \frac{c}{d} [/itex] to the form [itex] ad = c [/itex].

Related to A problem with Joseph Rotman's Advanced modern Algebra

1. What is the problem with Joseph Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra?

The main problem with Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra is that it contains several errors and inconsistencies which can be confusing for readers and may lead to incorrect understanding of the subject matter.

2. Are the errors in Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra significant?

Yes, the errors in Rotman's book are significant as they can affect the understanding and application of important mathematical concepts.

3. Can the errors in Rotman's book be corrected?

Yes, the errors in Rotman's book can be corrected by consulting other reliable sources and cross-checking the information provided. Additionally, some editions of the book may have been revised and corrected.

4. Is Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra still a valuable resource for learning?

Despite the errors, Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra can still be a valuable resource for learning as it covers a wide range of topics and provides numerous examples and exercises. However, it is recommended to use other sources as well to ensure a thorough understanding of the subject.

5. How can I ensure that I am using accurate information from Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra?

To ensure the accuracy of information from Rotman's book, it is important to cross-check with other reliable sources such as textbooks, research papers, and online resources. It is also recommended to consult with a knowledgeable instructor or mathematician for clarification on any confusing or inconsistent concepts.