A pulley of mass m using conservation of energy

In summary: Well done! In summary, the masses are initially h metres off the ground and reach a final height of 0 metres. The kinetic energy is K = (1/2)mr^2 + (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)I\omega^2, while the potential energy is K = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)(2m)v^2. The final height is reached when gh = (7/4)v^2.
physicsdude101

Homework Statement

Consider a massive pulley of mass m and radius r shown in the figure below, with two objects hanging off it having masses m and 2m, respectively. The pulley can be considered as a uniform disk, and the string is massless, does not stretch and does not slip.
By considering conservation of energy, determine the acceleration of the masses.
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 9.42.22 PM.png

Homework Equations

$$I=\frac{1}{2}mr^2$$
$$K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2$$
$$K=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the total kinetic energy of the system is $$K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}(2m)v^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2$$ but I'm not sure how to calculate the total potential energy of the system.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't see any equation involving energy in your relevant equations ?
Also don't see anything with acceleration ?
Do see unexplained variable ##r##, though. Unknown ?

Last edited:
BvU said:
Don't see any equation involving energy in your relevant equations ?
Also don't see anthing with acceleration ?
Do see unexplained variable ##r##, though. Unknown ?
I don't know how to get the acceleration without using Newton's Laws, which is what the question is asking me to do.

DId you render the problem statement completely, litterally ? I read it asks you to do it with energy conservation.

BvU said:
DId you render the problem statement completely, litterally ? I read it asks you to do it with energy conservation.
Sorry that is what I meant to say. I am supposed to do it with conservation of energy rather than Newton's laws but I am unsure how to do so.

I repeat posts 2 and 4.

BvU said:
I repeat posts 2 and 4.
I'm unsure of what you're asking.

From post #2:
What is ##r## ?
Is it known or unknown ?
You now edited in ##K##. What about potential energy ?
What about acceleration ?

From post #4:
What is the complete problem statement ?

BvU said:
From post #2:
What is ##r## ?
Is it known or unknown ?
You now edited in ##K##. What about potential energy ?
What about acceleration ?
r is unknown. I'm not sure about potential energy because I don't know where the ground is defined. I'm also not sure about acceleration.

BvU said:
From post #4:
What is the complete problem statement ?
I copied the problem statement exactly as I saw it in my homework problems.

physicsdude101 said:
copied the problem statement exactly
Ok, means you are supposed to formulate the answer in terms of ##m## and ##r##. Funny they don't even mention ##r## -- perhaps it divides out ultimately; we'll see.

You still need more equations (there are various relationships you haven't listed).
Ground can be anywhere. So pick something (you can even pick the ceiling if you want). More importantly: what coordinate system do you plan to define and use ?

BvU said:
Ok, means you are supposed to formulate the answer in terms of ##m## and ##r##. Funny they don't even mention ##r## -- perhaps it divides out ultimately; we'll see.

You still need more equations (there are various relationships you haven't listed).
Ground can be anywhere. So pick something (you can even pick the ceiling if you want). More importantly: what coordinate system do you plan to define and use ?
I think I'll use Cartesian coordinate system with h as the initial height from the ground in both masses. Then the finish height would be 0 for mass 2m? Although I'm not sure about the final height for the second mass.

I suppose another relevant equation would be $$v^2-v_0^2=2a\Delta x$$

That is indeed the energy conservation equation. You can take ##v_0 = 0##.

BvU said:
there are various relationships you haven't listed
m and 2m are connected by a rope (you implicitly use that already with the single variable ##v##)
the rope doesn't slip on the pulley
To be honest, I still don't see how this can be answered using energy considerations only. Maybe you can get something containing acceleration by differentiating a form that contains ##v^2## :rolleyes: .
If I were you I would embark on a solution attempt with a more conventional approach and then see if it can be bent to accommodate the instruction in the last line of the problem statement.

I think I have a solution. First define the two masses as being h metres off the ground initially. Then by the conservation of energy,
$$E_{initial}=E_{final}$$
$$\implies mgh+(2m)gh=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}(2m)v^2+\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2+mg(2h)$$
$$\implies mgh=\frac{3}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{4}mr^2\frac{v^2}{r^2}$$
$$\implies gh=\frac{7}{4}v^2$$
Now we use the kinematic equation: $$v^2-v_0^2=2a\Delta x$$ which gives
$$\frac{4gh}{7}-0^2=2ah$$
and finally, $$a=\frac{2g}{7}$$

Consistent with ##mg## having to cause 3.5 ##\times {1\over 2}mv^2##. Well done !

I like this exercise very much: both h and r divide out -- which I hoped for, but it wasn't obvious at the start -- and something simple remains.

Likes physicsdude101

1. What is a pulley of mass m?

A pulley of mass m refers to a type of simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or belt wrapped around it. It is used to change the direction of a force and can also be used to increase or decrease the magnitude of the force.

2. How does a pulley of mass m use conservation of energy?

A pulley of mass m uses conservation of energy by converting potential energy into kinetic energy and vice versa. As the object attached to the pulley moves up or down, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy or vice versa, according to the law of conservation of energy.

3. What factors affect the energy conservation in a pulley of mass m?

The factors that affect the energy conservation in a pulley of mass m include the mass of the pulley, the mass of the object attached to the pulley, the height at which the object is lifted, and the friction between the pulley and the rope or belt.

4. How is the conservation of energy calculated in a pulley of mass m?

The conservation of energy in a pulley of mass m can be calculated using the equation E = mgh, where E is the energy (in joules), m is the mass of the object (in kilograms), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height at which the object is lifted (in meters).

5. What are some real-life applications of a pulley of mass m using conservation of energy?

A pulley of mass m using conservation of energy is commonly used in elevators, cranes, and other lifting mechanisms. It is also used in machines that require a change in direction of force, such as conveyor belts and exercise equipment. Additionally, it is used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of energy conservation.