A pulse of frequencies that start in phase - pulse period?

In summary: So we want to know at what time do the two functions have a phase difference of ##0##. We can write that as an equation:##2\pi a(t-t_0) - 2\pi b(t-t_0) = 0##And we can solve that for ##t## by moving some terms around to get:##t = \frac{t_0}{1-\frac{a}{b}}##That's the time when the two functions have a phase difference
Natalie Johnson
Hi,

I start at 100 MHz have 10 carrier frequencies all starting in phase at t=0 and the carrier frequencies have 25 kHz spacing. So my frequency range is 100-100.25 MHz, with 10 single frequencies equally spaced in this range.

They come in phase every 4x10-5 seconds. The equation Frequency = 1 / Time_period works for this... with frequency being the frequency of the carrier spacing

The time period between all carriers coming back in phase (after going out of phase at t=0 or at any time after they realign) is directly related to the spacing of the carrier frequencies using this equation. I am struggling to see how this is related but it works. Perhaps I am looking for an elegant explanation of this

Please can someone advise?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 100MHz doesn't matter.
If you have only one 25KHz signal, it will be at 0 phase once every cycle. That is once every 40usec, the period.
With two, you still have both of them matching up at phase=0 every 40usec. The 1st one going through 1 cycle each period, the second going through 2 such cycles.
That pattern continues up to ten.

Natalie Johnson said:
Hi,

I start at 100 MHz have 10 carrier frequencies all starting in phase at t=0 and the carrier frequencies have 25 kHz spacing. So my frequency range is 100-100.25 MHz, with 10 single frequencies equally spaced in this range.

They come in phase every 4x10-5 seconds. The equation Frequency = 1 / Time_period works for this... with frequency being the frequency of the carrier spacing

The time period between all carriers coming back in phase (after going out of phase at t=0 or at any time after they realign) is directly related to the spacing of the carrier frequencies using this equation. I am struggling to see how this is related but it works. Perhaps I am looking for an elegant explanation of this

Please can someone advise?

Thanks
In effect you have a 25kHz source and you are just looking at one wavelength of it.
This principle applies in other fields. It is possible to find the length of a cable by looking at the repetitive ripple of a VSWR sweep for instance.
It is also possible to ascertain the frequency of a microwave receiver by receiving harmonics of a low frequency carrier and finding the spacing between adjacent low frequency pips.From memory, F = F1^2 / (F1-F2).

It's 10 single frequencies, equally spaced every 25khz from a starting frequency of 100MHz to a finish frequency 100.250. Even though all the single frequencies have different time periods, my script shows they all come back in phase every 40 micro seconds.

Also it doesn't matter how many frequencies I add (with increasing the bandwidth past 100.250 to accomaddate more single frequencies), as long as the spacing is 25khz ... it's always repeating every 40 ms...

.Scott said:
The 100MHz doesn't matter.
If you have only one 25KHz signal, it will be at 0 phase once every cycle. That is once every 40usec, the period.
With two, you still have both of them matching up at phase=0 every 40usec. The 1st one going through 1 cycle each period, the second going through 2 such cycles.
That pattern continues up to ten.

If each of these frequencies placed in th 250khz bandwidth are different frequencies, they all have different periods so how would they all come back in phase in the manner you suggest? It's clearly happening but I'm finding it difficult visualising.
tech99 said:
In effect you have a 25kHz source and you are just looking at one wavelength of it.
This principle applies in other fields. It is possible to find the length of a cable by looking at the repetitive ripple of a VSWR sweep for instance.
It is also possible to ascertain the frequency of a microwave receiver by receiving harmonics of a low frequency carrier and finding the spacing between adjacent low frequency pips.From memory, F = F1^2 / (F1-F2).

How is it a 25khz source if it's a new frequency spaced between, it's the spacing not a repeating single frequency?

Last edited:
Natalie Johnson said:
If each of these frequencies placed in the 250khz bandwidth are different frequencies, they all have different periods so how would they all come back in phase in the manner you suggest? It's clearly happening but I'm finding it difficult visualising.
I'll take another shot at it.

Let's say we have two sine wave functions, one ##A(t)## at frequency ##a## cycles per second, the other ##B(t)## at frequency ##b## cycles per second. And we will assume that they start in phase at time ##t_0##.
Those functions would be:
##A(t) = sin(2\pi a(t-t_0))##
##B(t) = sin(2\pi b(t-t_0))##

But we are interested in phase. So here are the formulas for phase:
##phase(A(t)) = 2\pi a(t-t_0)##
##phase(B(t)) = 2\pi b(t-t_0)##

And we are specifically interested in when these phases match:
##P_{diff} = phase(A(t)) - phaseB(t)) =## a multiple of ##2\pi##
##P_{diff} = ( 2\pi a(t-t_0) ) - ( 2\pi b(t-t_0) ) =## a multiple of ##2\pi##
##P_{diff} /(2\pi)= ( a(t-t_0) ) - ( b(t-t_0) ) =## is an integer
##P_{diff} /(2\pi)= ( (a-b)(t-t_0) ) =## is an integer
This will happen when
##( (a-b)(t-t_0) ) = 0, 1, 2, 3, ... ##
##t-t_0 = 0/(a-b), 1/(a-b), 2/(a-b), 3/(a-b), ... ##

So what happens is that at ##t=t_0##, ##P_{diff}## is also zero.
As t increases, the phase difference ##P_{diff}## also increases. The first time they will be in phase is when the phase difference is ##2\pi## (##360^{\circ}##).
That will only happen when ##t-t_0 = 1/(a-b)##. That's the first time they match up. The seconds time will be another ##1/(a-b)## seconds, and so on.

In your case, the frequency difference ##(a-b)## is 25KHz, so the period when they repeat will be 1/25KHz = 40usec. So:
at ##t_0+0##usec, the phase difference expressed in full cycles (##2\pi##) would be ##0(a-b) = 0\times25KHz = 0## cycles (##0^{\circ}##).
at ##t_0+5##usec: ##5usec(a-b) = 5usec\times25KHz = 0.125## cycles (##45^{\circ}##).
at ##t_0+10##usec: ##10usec(a-b) = 10usec\times25KHz = 0.25## cycles (##90^{\circ}##).
at ##t_0+20##usec: ##20usec(a-b) = 20usec\times25KHz = 0.5## cycles (##180^{\circ}##).
at ##t_0+40##usec: ##40usec(a-b) = 40usec\times25KHz = 0.5## cycles (##360^{\circ}##).

That should show you why this works with only two. Now look at the case with 10.
The difference between the 1st and 2nd is 25KHz, so they will resync every 40usec.
The difference between the 1st and 3rd is 50KHz, so they will resync every 20usec.
The difference between the 1st and 4th is 75KHz, so they will resync every 40usec/3.
The difference between the 1st and 10th is 225KHz, so they will resync every 40usec/9.

So some of the pairs will sync more often that once every 40usec. But they will all be in phase when the first two signals are in phase.

Likes Natalie Johnson

What is a pulse of frequencies that start in phase?

A pulse of frequencies that start in phase refers to a set of frequencies that all begin at the same point in time and have the same starting phase. This means that the peaks or troughs of the waves will align with each other, creating a distinct and cohesive pulse.

What is the pulse period?

The pulse period is the time it takes for one full cycle of the pulse to occur. This is measured in seconds and is important in determining the frequency of the pulse. A shorter pulse period means a higher frequency, while a longer pulse period means a lower frequency.

How is a pulse of frequencies that start in phase created?

A pulse of frequencies that start in phase can be created through various methods, such as using a wave generator to produce a wave with a specific frequency and phase, or by combining multiple waves with different frequencies and phases to create a composite pulse.

What are some applications of a pulse of frequencies that start in phase?

A pulse of frequencies that start in phase has many practical applications, such as in communication systems where it is used to transmit signals and information, in medical imaging where it is used to create clear images of internal structures, and in various scientific experiments to study the behavior of waves and their interactions.

Can a pulse of frequencies that start in phase be used in music?

Yes, a pulse of frequencies that start in phase can be used in music by creating a rhythmic pattern that is repeated throughout a piece. This is commonly seen in electronic music where different frequencies and phases are combined to create a unique and complex pulse.