Lorentzian line profile of emitted radiation

In summary, the textbook states that the frequency of emitted radiation is no longer monochromatic as it would be for an oscillation with constant amplitude. Instead, it shows a frequency distribution related to the function x(t) by a Fourier transformation- the damped oscillation x(t) can be described as a superposition of monochromatic oscillations exp(i omega t) with slightly different frequencies omega and amplitudes A(omega). The factor of 1/2 should be a factor of 2.
MigMRF
Homework Statement
Explain the derivation of the lorentzian line profile. Use "Laser Spectroscopy 1" By Wolfgang Demtöder pp 76-78 as inspiration
Relevant Equations
Fourier transform, inverse fourier transform, solution to harmonic oscilator.
First of all i tried to follow the textbook. Here they start of by modelling the atom as an harmonic oscilator:
1672957326637.png

Then they find the solution as:
1672957502722.png

They neglect the second term as omega_0 >> gamma which also makes good sense so they end up with:
1672957579050.png

So far so good. After this they state the following:
"
Because the amplitude x.t/ of the oscillation decreases gradually, the frequency of
the emitted radiation is no longer monochromatic as it would be for an oscillation
with constant amplitude. Instead, it shows a frequency distribution related to the
function x(t) by a Fourier transformation-
The damped oscillation x(t) can be described as a superposition of monochromatic oscillations exp(i omega t) with slightly different frequencies omega and amplitudes A(omega).
1672957696728.png

I understand that a inverse fourier transform is going on here, so that we get away from the frequency domain. And the term 1/sqrt(2 pi) is the normalization constant, which also makes good sense. But where does the 1/2 factor come from? The integral goes from 0 to infinity, and as the amplitude is a symmetric function i would expect that we'd have to multiply by two when taking the integral over the half space, not divide.

It's been some hours of trying to figure out what is going on, but without any luck. Hope that some of you can help me out understanding this step in the derivation, as the rest of it seems pretty clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
## A(\omega)=\int x(t) e^{-i \omega t} dt ## apart from a numerical constant. I didn't do the integral just now, but I remember doing it a couple years ago, and I think it should work. Try for ## t>0 ##, because of the damping term.
Use ##\cos(\omega_o t)=(e^{i \omega_o t}+e^{-i \omega_o t})/2 ##.

Edit: and perhaps a minor detail, but it might be a necessary one: ## x(t) ## is real, so you may need to include the negative ## \omega's ##, (and perhaps even negative ## t's ## to get it to work). You might need to write the damping term (the exponent) with a plus sign for ## t<0 ##.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
MigMRF said:
View attachment 319857
I understand that a inverse fourier transform is going on here, so that we get away from the frequency domain. And the term 1/sqrt(2 pi) is the normalization constant, which also makes good sense. But where does the 1/2 factor come from? The integral goes from 0 to infinity, and as the amplitude is a symmetric function i would expect that we'd have to multiply by two when taking the integral over the half space, not divide.
I agree that the factor of 1/2 should be a factor of 2. But I also think that it should be specified that the real part of the right-hand side should be taken.

From ##A(\omega) = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty{x(t)e^{-i\omega t}} dt## and the fact that ##x(t)## is real, we must have ##A^*(\omega) = A(-\omega)##. So,

$$x(t) = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty{A(\omega)e^{i\omega t}} d\omega $$
$$= \frac {1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \left(\int_{-\infty}^0{A(\omega)e^{i\omega t}} d\omega + \int_{0}^{\infty}{A(\omega)e^{i\omega t}} d\omega \right)$$
$$= \frac {1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \left(\int_{0}^{\infty}{A(-\omega)e^{-i\omega t}} d\omega + \int_{0}^{\infty}{A(\omega)e^{i\omega t}} d\omega \right)$$
$$= \frac {1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \left(\int_{0}^{\infty}{A^*(\omega)e^{-i\omega t}} d\omega + \int_{0}^{\infty}{A(\omega)e^{i\omega t}} d\omega \right)$$
$$= \frac {1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \left(\int_{0}^{\infty}{A(\omega)e^{i\omega t}} d\omega +CC \right)$$
$$= \frac {2}{\sqrt{2\pi}} Re\left[ \int_{0}^{\infty}{A(\omega)e^{i\omega t}} d\omega \right]$$

Likes vanhees71 and Charles Link

1. What is a Lorentzian line profile of emitted radiation?

A Lorentzian line profile of emitted radiation is a type of spectral line shape that describes the distribution of energy emitted by a source. It is named after the Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz, and is often used to describe the behavior of atoms and molecules in a gas or plasma.

2. How is a Lorentzian line profile different from other line shapes?

A Lorentzian line profile is characterized by a symmetric, bell-shaped curve with a long tail at the edges. This is in contrast to other line shapes, such as the Gaussian line shape, which are more symmetrical and have shorter tails.

3. What factors influence the shape of a Lorentzian line profile?

The shape of a Lorentzian line profile is influenced by several factors, including the natural width of the emission line, the temperature and pressure of the emitting source, and any external perturbations or interactions with neighboring particles or fields.

4. What are some applications of the Lorentzian line profile?

The Lorentzian line profile is commonly used in spectroscopy, where it can help identify and characterize the properties of atoms and molecules. It is also used in fields such as plasma physics, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles and electromagnetic waves.

5. How is the Lorentzian line profile related to the Lorentzian distribution?

The Lorentzian line profile is a specific case of the broader Lorentzian distribution, which describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. In the case of the Lorentzian line profile, the random variable is the energy emitted by a source, and the distribution describes the likelihood of emitting a particular amount of energy.