A Question about potential difference in Wire

In summary: This will cause the electric field to become stronger and the electric potential to increase at points closer to the positive terminal. As the test charge moves away from the positive terminal, the electric potential decreases.
Kaneki123
Okay...I got a question. Charges move in a wire due to an electric field across its ends. Now, positive test charge in an electric field would have higher electric potential nearer to the positive plate than anywhere else. Now in case of a circuit, like the one I have drawn, the electric potential at any point between A to D is the same (please point out if there is something wrong in the statement. My question is the, as we move further away from the positve terminal, the electric potential should decrease, so why does it not??...If someone could point out potential differences at the different points in the circuit, that'd be helpful...Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• lol.png
    lol.png
    7 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
Kaneki123 said:
Okay...I got a question. Charges move in a wire due to an electric field across its ends. Now, positive test charge in an electric field would have higher electric potential nearer to the positive plate than anywhere else. Now in case of a circuit, like the one I have drawn, the electric potential at any point between A to D is the same (please point out if there is something wrong in the statement. My question is the, as we move further away from the positve terminal, the electric potential should decrease, so why does it not??...If someone could point out potential differences at the different points in the circuit, that'd be helpful...Any help is appreciated
Are you familiar with the concept of "voltage division" for resistances in series? :smile:

Hi,
Kaneki123 said:
My question is the, as we move further away from the positve terminal, the electric potential should decrease, so why does it not
First we have to make clear if the wire is an ideal conductor.
If it is, the full 12 V voltage drop occurs in the bulb (DE)
If it is a real wire (a thin wire with non-zero restance), voltage drop occurs linearly between A and D and also between E and G, so the the voltage drop between D and E is slightly less than 12 V.

You need to model your wire as an equipotential surface. Any test charge will spread out over the metal surface to effectively charge the capacitance of that surface.

It is a mistake to use dynamic ideas to understand stable situations. You need to consider a stable state, or the dynamic transition towards that stable state.

The dynamic redistribution of charge in time involves the inductive and capacitive geometry of the circuit. Energy from the battery will begin to be distributed into the electric field when the circuit is first connected. That initial redistribution of charge and the resulting continuous flow of charge through the light globe will distribute energy into the magnetic field.

1. What is potential difference in a wire?

The potential difference in a wire refers to the difference in electric potential energy between two points in the wire. It is measured in volts and is a measure of the force that drives electric current through the wire.

2. How is potential difference related to electric current?

Potential difference is directly related to electric current, as it is the driving force that causes the flow of electric current through a wire. A higher potential difference means a greater force pushing the electrons through the wire, resulting in a higher electric current.

3. What factors affect potential difference in a wire?

The potential difference in a wire can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the wire, the temperature, and the presence of any resistors or other components in the circuit. The source of the potential difference, such as a battery or power supply, also plays a role.

4. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the electric current is opposite to the direction of the potential difference. In other words, the electrons are flowing from a point of lower potential to a point of higher potential.

5. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electric potential energy between two points. It is typically connected in parallel to the circuit and will display the potential difference in volts.