A question about the solution of linear equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation ax + by = (a-1)(b-1) and its solutions in integers x and y with x ≥ 0 and y≥0. It is proven that a solution exists when q=1 and does not exist when q=0, and that a solution can be found by playing with values of x and y.
whodsow
I found a rule that the equation ax + by = (a-1)(b-1), for gcd(a, b)=1, has a solution in integers x and y with x ≥ 0 and y≥0, but the equation ax + by = (a-1)(b-1) - 1 don't.
For example, the equation 3x + 7y = 12 has such soluntion (x, y) = (4, 0), but 3x + 7y = 11 has no such solutions that x and y are integers with x ≥ 0 and y≥0.
I have verified more a and b, which show my conjecture is correct, but I cann't prove that.
please help me, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You wish to prove that a solution x,y with non-negative x,y, for the equation ax+by = n = ab-a-b+q exists when q=1, and does not exist when q=0. Note that, since gcd(a,b)=1, an integer solution (with x,y possibly negative) always exists (Hardy & Wright, chapter 2, theorem 25).

If x,y is an integer solution, then y = (n-ax)/b = (ab-a-b+q-ax)/b,
so that a(x+1)=q (mod b). You might try to play with values of x that yield y >= 0.

Also, if x,y is a solution, then x+bs, y-as are all solutions, for all integers 's'. So you can pick a pair of 'representative' solutions, one with x in the range 0..b-1, and other with y in the range 0..a-1, and see how this affects the proposal in the previous paragraph.

Last edited:
well, thank your hint, I have proved that.

Related to A question about the solution of linear equation

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is a mathematical equation that involves two variables (usually represented by x and y) and can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations (such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing) to both sides of the equation until the variable is by itself.

3. What is the solution to a linear equation?

The solution to a linear equation is the value of the variable that makes the equation true. This is also known as the point of intersection between the equation and the x-axis on a graph.

4. Can a linear equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear equation can have infinitely many solutions. This is because a linear equation represents a line, and a line has an infinite number of points.

5. How can linear equations be used in real life?

Linear equations can be used to model and solve many real-life problems, such as calculating distances and rates, predicting future outcomes, and analyzing trends in data. They are also commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.