A Question of Electronic Live Image Magnification

In summary: The definition of usable magnification depends on the application. For example, for microscopy, usable magnification is typically defined as the maximum magnification at which the image can be viewed without significant distortion.
BigDon
I have a difficult to articulate question about digital microscopes. I was reminded by my post in the STEM toys thread when I mentioned the Eyeclops.

How does one define what strength something is magnified at when you can cast the live image onto monitors of various sizes?

An image magnified x100, but broadcast to a monitor 3.5 feet across, is considerably more than x100.

What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
BigDon said:
How does one define what strength something is magnified at when you can cast the live image onto monitors of various sizes?
Maybe you are confusing and/or mixing optical magnification with digital magnification?

E.g. if you have an image that is optically magnified x100, and you increase only the size of the digital monitor that is displaying it, you are essentially only digitally magnifying the image. The actual "optical" resolution of the image won't change.

Likes berkeman and BigDon
That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing.

So I need to work on the definition of "optical magnification" then?

This question is not limited to the digital age. In some ways digital makes it easier to think about. There have always been fundamental limitations on "acuity" of an optical system that are driven by diffraction...if one tries to image a point source of light it will show up in the image plane as a diffraction disc depending upon the aperture. Also no real lens can perfectly project an actual image except for a pinhole lens of zero size: these don't allow much light to pass through! Impossible even in theory
So it is always a trade off. And absent a huge digital monitor I can still put an inappropriate eyepiece on a telescope/microscope and advertise a huge and useless magnification. (Look at how big the blur is!)
The name of the game is to optimize each piece of the system to the desired level. That way provides the best return for time and money. and requires some nontrivial understanding.

The term of art is "usable magnification"

Likes BillTre and BigDon

What is "A Question of Electronic Live Image Magnification"?

"A Question of Electronic Live Image Magnification" is a scientific concept that involves using electronic devices to enlarge and enhance images in real-time. It is commonly used in fields such as microscopy, astronomy, and medical imaging.

How does electronic live image magnification work?

Electronic live image magnification works by using electronic sensors, processors, and display devices to capture, process, and project an image in real-time. The image is enlarged and enhanced using algorithms and software, and then displayed on a screen or monitor.

What are the benefits of using electronic live image magnification?

The benefits of using electronic live image magnification include the ability to see and analyze small or distant objects in greater detail, the ability to make real-time observations and measurements, and the ability to store and share images for further analysis and collaboration.

What are the limitations of electronic live image magnification?

Some limitations of electronic live image magnification include the possibility of distortion or loss of image quality due to electronic noise or interference, the need for specialized equipment and technical expertise, and the cost of purchasing and maintaining the equipment.

In which fields is electronic live image magnification commonly used?

Electronic live image magnification is commonly used in fields such as biology, medicine, astronomy, geology, and materials science. It is also used in industries such as manufacturing, quality control, and forensics.