A question on adding dates to name et al. in dissertation

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct formatting and referencing style for a dissertation on Sonoluminescence. Various authors and their contributions to the topic are mentioned, and it is advised to follow the guidelines of the respective Graduate Division or equivalent body for consistency in formatting.
rwooduk
Hi, I really need some advice on this if anyone can help? Below are some excerpts from my dissertation on Sonoluminescence:

Milton et al. in particular found that if the...

Baghdassarian et al. (1999) added to the argument when he found...

Beige et al. (2009) proposed that...

Unnikrishnan, in his “Comment on Sonoluminescence as Quantum Vacuum Radiation” [64] made several statements...

Eberlein [31,60] followed on from Schwinger...

There are however some inconsistencies with the blackbody theory. Vasquez et al. explains...

My question is, is it okay to write the above as they are? Or for example in the first line is a date after the et al. ALWAYS required?

Any advice on this would really be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
Hi, I really need some advice on this if anyone can help? Below are some excerpts from my dissertation on Sonoluminescence:

My question is, is it okay to write the above as they are? Or for example in the first line is a date after the et al. ALWAYS required?

Any advice on this would really be appreciated.

Different places have different requirements. My thesis was written with the same formatting for the references as the AIP Journal that most of my work was published in. This was fine for the Graduate Division at my University.

Basically, follow the rules of your Graduate Division (or equvalnet body). If there is felxibility in formatting, pick a format that you like, consider one that is the "lingua franca" of your discipline. Be consistent.

Likes rwooduk
Quantum Defect said:
Different places have different requirements. My thesis was written with the same formatting for the references as the AIP Journal that most of my work was published in. This was fine for the Graduate Division at my University.

Basically, follow the rules of your Graduate Division (or equvalnet body). If there is felxibility in formatting, pick a format that you like, consider one that is the "lingua franca" of your discipline. Be consistent.
Thanks for that, yes I see what you mean by having consistancy. And I will look into how my department writes their dissertations. Thanks!

1. How do I add dates to names in my dissertation?

To add dates to names in your dissertation, you can use the "et al." abbreviation. This abbreviation stands for "et alia," which means "and others" in Latin. You can use it to indicate that there are additional authors beyond the first one listed. For example, you can write "Smith et al. (2020) found that..."

2. Should I include dates for all authors in my dissertation?

In most cases, it is only necessary to include the date for the first author listed in your dissertation. However, if you are directly quoting or referencing another author's work, it is important to include the date for that specific source.

3. How should I format the dates in my dissertation?

In general, dates should be written in the format of (Year, Month Day). For example, (2020, January 1). However, if you are using a specific style guide for your dissertation, be sure to follow its guidelines for formatting dates.

4. Can I use abbreviations for months in my dissertation?

Yes, you can use abbreviations for months in your dissertation. Some common abbreviations include Jan. for January, Feb. for February, and Sept. for September. Just be consistent in your use of abbreviations throughout your dissertation.

5. Do I need to include the year in my in-text citations?

Yes, it is important to include the year in your in-text citations. This allows readers to easily locate the source in your reference list. Additionally, if you are citing multiple sources from the same author in the same year, you can differentiate them by adding a lowercase letter after the year (e.g. 2020a, 2020b).