A question on second law of thermodynamics

In summary, the homework statement says that the change of entropy (for the system) when 3 moles of a monatomic perfect gas, for which Cp,m = (5/2) R, is heated and compressed from 298K and 1atm to 398K and 5atm is -22.1 JK-1.
ky92

Homework Statement

calculate the change of entropy (for the system) when 3 moles of a monatomic perfect gas, for which Cp,m = (5/2) R, is heated and compressed from 298K and 1atm to 398K and 5atm.

ans: -22.1 JK-1

Homework Equations

for an ideal gas, Pv=nRT
for iso-choric condition, delta S = Cv ln(T2/T1)

The Attempt at a Solution

as both the P and T increase, by Pv=nRT v should be constant at this case
so i thought i should use Cv ln(T2/T1)

however the model answer is that it uses nCp,m ln(T2/T1) + nRln(V2/V1)

i don't know which part of my concept is wrong...
pls help, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ky92, welcome to PF. Just because P and T are changing doesn't mean that V will remain constant! All three could change simultaneously. When this happens, it's common to simplify the problem by assuming that two simpler processes (isobaric and isothermal, for example) occur in sequence to produce the desired final state.

thank you!

by the way
why couldn't i replace (V2/V1) by (T2/T1) in this case? (but we can replace V2/V1 by P1/P2)
i don't really get it!

how to decide whether we should substitute between P-V or P-T/V-T?

In an isothermal process on an ideal gas, [itex]V_2/V_1=P_1/P_2\neq T_1/T_2\left(=1\right)[/itex]. You can show this with the ideal gas law.

Mapes said:
In an isothermal process on an ideal gas, [itex]V_2/V_1=P_1/P_2\neq T_1/T_2\left(=1\right)[/itex]. You can show this with the ideal gas law.

oh i get it now
it's just because we assume the reaction is an isobaric, then isothermal process
so T is constant for the second part i.e. in nR ln(V2/V1)

thanks!
you help me a lot
i am bad in physics :P

You got it. Hey, nobody's born knowing thermodynamics; keep at it.

Related to A question on second law of thermodynamics

1. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy will always be lost as heat, and no energy transfer or conversion can be 100% efficient.

2. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to entropy?

The second law of thermodynamics is often referred to as the law of increasing entropy. This means that in any closed system, the total amount of disorder or randomness (entropy) will always increase over time.

3. Can the second law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the second law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It is a universal law that applies to all systems and processes.

4. How is the second law of thermodynamics applied in real life?

The second law of thermodynamics is applied in many areas of science and technology, such as in the design of engines, refrigerators, and power plants. It also plays a crucial role in understanding natural processes, such as the flow of energy in ecosystems.

5. Is there any controversy surrounding the second law of thermodynamics?

While the second law of thermodynamics is widely accepted, there have been some debates and controversies surrounding its interpretation and applications. Some scientists argue that the law only applies to closed systems and may not be applicable to open systems, such as living organisms. However, this is still a subject of ongoing research and discussion.