A question related to the LED Dimmer circuit of 05/29/07

In summary: The discussion in the 2007 thread referenced a circuit that used eight LEDs and pulsed at a frequency of 1.5 to 2 Hz. This circuit is no longer available, so the user is looking for a modification to the circuit or a link to a similar circuit. The user is also interested in combining sound with the LED circuit.
KevLar
I want to replace a single flashing red LED on my motorcycle alarm with something more ominous to ward away potential hooligans ;) I've searched for flashing & pulsing and ramping LED circuits using Google and came across this forum, so hopefully someone here can help me :)

What I would like to have is a set of several high intensity LEDs wired in series (perhaps 8 in total). I want these LEDs to turn ON and OFF in a ramping manner with a frequency of about 1.5 to 2 Hz, in other words, the intensity of the LEDs will increase to maximum in a period of about 1 sec, then hold at maximum intensity for maybe 0.1 sec before decreasing back down in another 1 sec. Ideally, I would like the LEDs not to turn off completely in the trough of the ramp, but stay glowing slightly at maybe 10% of maximum intensity, so there would always be some light emanating from the LEDs when the alarm is on.

The circuit discussed in the 05/29/07 thread ramped at a much slower rate than what I want, so I'm looking for some feedback in terms of a modification to this circuit to change the frequency and minimum intensity, or a link to a circuit that does what I'm looking for...

One potential complication with my situation will be powering this ramping circuit from the alarm currently on the bike. As I said earlier, the alarm has a single red flashing LED, and although I haven't tested the output, I believe the voltage and amperage supplies by the alarm box to this LED would be typical of what is required for a LED (ie: ~3 V & 20 mA). Since the power source that is available is not always on, I will have to either modify whatever ramping circuit I end up using, or modify the alarm itself to bypass whatever is making the existing red LED flash:confused:

As an added bonus, if I get this to work... I would like to eventually combine sound with the ramping/pulsing LEDs, something like a pulsing humming/droning sound that also increases in intensity at the same rate as the LEDs. The best I can describe the sound would be something akin to the sound of a bullfrog, but a little slower in frequency. I think I've seen something like this in a Sci-Fi movie, when some unknown alien craft lands on Earth and you get that ominous throbbing light and droning sound...

Hope I can get some feedback, at least on the LED circuit for now. Also, kepp in mind that I am a Mech Eng type, so please speak slowly :uhh:

Thanks !

Kev

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many inexpensive LED controllers on the market today that were not available in 2007

1. What is an LED dimmer circuit?

An LED dimmer circuit is an electronic circuit that is designed to control the brightness of an LED light. It allows you to adjust the intensity of the light output by regulating the amount of current flowing through the LED.

2. How does an LED dimmer circuit work?

An LED dimmer circuit works by using a device called a triac to control the amount of current flowing to the LED. The triac acts as a switch, turning the LED on and off very quickly to create the illusion of dimming.

3. What is the purpose of the circuit date of 05/29/07?

The date of 05/29/07 is most likely the date that the circuit was designed or created. It does not have any specific purpose related to the functionality of the circuit itself.

4. Can any LED be used with an LED dimmer circuit?

No, not all LEDs are compatible with LED dimmer circuits. Only certain types of LEDs, such as dimmable LEDs, can be used with these circuits. It is important to check the specifications of the LED and the dimmer circuit to ensure compatibility.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using an LED dimmer circuit?

Yes, there are a few safety concerns to keep in mind when using an LED dimmer circuit. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the circuit properly to avoid any potential hazards. Additionally, make sure to use the appropriate voltage and current ratings for the circuit and LED to prevent overheating and electrical damage.