A Reverse Dynamo - Opposite to the Shake Flashlight

In summary, a dynamo that could replace an electrical current with an ac current to power a magnet or coil would be possible, but would require more work and design than a current magnetic tattoo gun.
Smeezer
I would like to know if it's possible to build a dynamo that instead of having an electrical current driven through a coil by movement of a magnet to generate electricity could be driven by ac to move the magnet or coil in a vertical motion instead. If so, (which logically it sounds possible to me), could it be made small enough with low enough energy requirements and take up small enough space to be practical to drive a tattoo needle in a tattoo machine? I'll be the first to admit I'm a complete physics newb but I'm searching for a way to make a very low vibration generating tattoo machine to help prevent repetitive strain injuries caused by the vibration of the machine.
If I haven't searched the forum well enough, please feel free to tell me to get lost. :) I'm not looking for specifics but a nudge in the right direction(s) and theories to research would help me a lot.
Thanks.

Current magnetic tattoo guns operate very similar to a doorbell circuit
http://www.one-school.net/Malaysia/...ics/electromagnetism/images/electric-bell.png

I think this might be the right concept?
http://www.faqs.org/patents/imgfull/20110286868_01
But obviously with a completely different application and concept, I'm wondering if the physics required are the same and if it could be made small enough as I only need the length of my oscillation to be in the range of 1/16 of an inch to 3/16 of an inch.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Smeezer said:
I would like to know if it's possible to build a dynamo that instead of having an electrical current driven through a coil by movement of a magnet to generate electricity could be driven by ac to move the magnet or coil in a vertical motion instead. If so, (which logically it sounds possible to me), could it be made small enough with low enough energy requirements and take up small enough space to be practical to drive a tattoo needle in a tattoo machine? I'll be the first to admit I'm a complete physics newb but I'm searching for a way to make a very low vibration generating tattoo machine to help prevent repetitive strain injuries caused by the vibration of the machine.
If I haven't searched the forum well enough, please feel free to tell me to get lost. :) I'm not looking for specifics but a nudge in the right direction(s) and theories to research would help me a lot.
Thanks.

Current magnetic tattoo guns operate very similar to a doorbell circuit
http://www.one-school.net/Malaysia/...ics/electromagnetism/images/electric-bell.png

I think this might be the right concept?
http://www.faqs.org/patents/imgfull/20110286868_01
But obviously with a completely different application and concept, I'm wondering if the physics required are the same and if it could be made small enough as I only need the length of my oscillation to be in the range of 1/16 of an inch to 3/16 of an inch.

Welcome to the PF.

Probably a better approach would be to make a counterbalance actuator that cancels out the motion of the tattoo gun. You would have a 2nd actuator that was on the same axis as the needle driver, but moving in the opposite direction to make the overall gun not move at all...

Without complicating the design of a tattoo fun further, could it be designed to tolerate a changed armature bar or spring tension (depending of the gun is going to be set up as a shader or a liner) or would it have to be exact? I would think it would have to be exact and it would also increase weight of the machine. Adding several ounces of weight to a tattoo gun would increase hand fatigue in long tattooing sessions as well as adding a significant amount of weight to shaders which need to be as light as reasonably possible and agile.
This is why I'm considering how to make my approach work rather than taking a different one.
Of course my assumptions could be entirely incorrect.

Oh and you're welcome :)

It is definitely possible to build a reverse dynamo, also known as a linear generator, that can be driven by an alternating current (AC) to move a magnet or coil in a vertical motion. This concept is similar to what is used in electric bell circuits, as you mentioned. However, there are some key differences in the design and application of a reverse dynamo for a tattoo machine.

First, let's discuss the physics behind a reverse dynamo. In a traditional dynamo, the movement of a magnet within a coil creates an electrical current. In a reverse dynamo, an electrical current is applied to a coil, which then creates a magnetic field that moves a magnet in a vertical motion. This movement of the magnet within the coil generates an electrical current in the opposite direction, creating a continuous back and forth motion.

In theory, this concept could be applied to a tattoo machine to reduce vibrations and prevent repetitive strain injuries. However, there are some practical considerations that need to be addressed. For one, the size and energy requirements of the reverse dynamo would need to be carefully designed to fit within the small and precise movements required for tattooing. Additionally, the power source for the AC current would need to be compact and efficient to power the reverse dynamo without adding too much weight or bulk to the tattoo machine.

There are also other factors to consider, such as the speed and force of the vertical motion, as well as the torque required to move the tattoo needle. These would need to be carefully calibrated to ensure the machine is effective in creating tattoos.

In terms of theories to research, you may want to look into the principles of electromagnetism and Faraday's Law, which explain the relationship between electricity and magnetism. You may also want to explore the design and mechanics of linear generators, as well as the different types of AC power sources that could be used in a compact and efficient manner.

Overall, while a reverse dynamo for a tattoo machine is a fascinating concept, it may require some further research and development to make it a practical and effective solution.

1. What is a Reverse Dynamo flashlight and how does it work?

A Reverse Dynamo flashlight, also known as an opposite to the shake flashlight, is a type of flashlight that does not require batteries. Instead, it uses the principles of electromagnetic induction to generate electricity. When the flashlight is shaken or moved, a magnet inside the flashlight moves through a coil of wire, creating a current that powers the LED light.

2. Is a Reverse Dynamo flashlight as effective as a traditional flashlight?

Yes, a Reverse Dynamo flashlight is just as effective as a traditional flashlight. In fact, it may even be more reliable as it does not rely on batteries that may run out of power. As long as the flashlight is shaken or moved, it will continue to generate electricity and provide light.

3. How long does a Reverse Dynamo flashlight's light last?

The duration of the light from a Reverse Dynamo flashlight depends on the strength and frequency of the shaking or movement. On average, the light can last for several minutes before needing to be shaken again. However, some newer models may have a longer duration due to improved technology.

4. Can a Reverse Dynamo flashlight be used in all types of weather?

Yes, a Reverse Dynamo flashlight can be used in all types of weather. It does not rely on batteries, which can be affected by extreme temperatures, making it a more reliable option for outdoor use. However, it is important to note that excessive exposure to water or extreme temperatures may still damage the flashlight.

5. Are there any environmental benefits to using a Reverse Dynamo flashlight?

Yes, there are several environmental benefits to using a Reverse Dynamo flashlight. Since it does not require batteries, it reduces the amount of battery waste that ends up in landfills. It also does not emit harmful chemicals or gases, making it a more environmentally-friendly lighting option.