A sailboat sets out from the U.S. side of Lake Erie

In summary, the sailor set out from the U.S. side of Lake Erie for a point on the Canadian side, 90.0 km due north, but ended up 50.0 km due east of the starting point. To reach the original destination, the sailor must now sail a distance of approximately 60.9 km at a direction of 60.9 degrees north of west, as shown by the vector diagram.
HappyFlower

Homework Statement

A sailboat sets out from the U.S. side of Lake Erie for a point on the Canadian side, 90.0 km due north. The sailor, however, ends up 50.0 km due east of the starting point. (a) How far, and (b) in what direction must the sailor now sail to reach the original destination?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help setting up the vector picture because I know the answer ends up in quadrant 2. There is a picture below I want to know if i am setting it up right.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
HappyFlower said:

Homework Statement

A sailboat sets out from the U.S. side of Lake Erie for a point on the Canadian side, 90.0 km due north. The sailor, however, ends up 50.0 km due east of the starting point. (a) How far, and (b) in what direction must the sailor now sail to reach the original destination?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need help setting up the vector picture because I know the answer ends up in quadrant 2. There is a picture below I want to know if i am setting it up right.
Looks like you started it right. So the final path will be the hypotenuse of that triangle, right?

berkeman said:
Looks like you started it right. So the final path will be the hypotenuse of that triangle, right?
the answer for b as 60.9 degrees north of west what i don't understand is the direction as it ends up in the second quadrant.

HappyFlower said:
the answer for b as 60.9 degrees north of west what i don't understand is the direction as it ends up in the second quadrant.
Draw your final vector from the current position of the boat at the right, up to the final position of the boat at the top. That vector points up and left... :smile:

berkeman said:
Draw your final vector from the current position of the boat at the right, up to the final position of the boat at the top. That vector points up and left... :smile:

Thanks i think i was overthinking it -,-.

Likes berkeman
:smile:

Likes HappyFlower

1. What is the distance a sailboat can travel in Lake Erie?

The total surface area of Lake Erie is 25,700 square kilometers. Assuming an average speed of 8 knots, a sailboat can cover approximately 14 nautical miles in an hour. Therefore, a sailboat can potentially travel up to 196 nautical miles in a day.

2. How long does it take for a sailboat to cross Lake Erie?

The time it takes for a sailboat to cross Lake Erie depends on several factors such as wind speed, direction, and the size and type of the sailboat. On average, it can take anywhere from 8 to 12 hours to cross the lake.

3. Are there any specific rules or regulations for sailboats in Lake Erie?

Yes, sailboats are required to follow the same rules and regulations as other vessels in Lake Erie. They must have proper safety equipment on board, including life jackets, fire extinguishers, and navigation lights. They must also adhere to speed limits and give way to larger vessels.

4. Can a sailboat travel to Canada from the U.S. side of Lake Erie?

Yes, sailboats can travel to Canada from the U.S. side of Lake Erie. However, they must first check in with customs and immigration before entering Canadian waters. It is important to have all necessary documents and permits for international travel.

5. Are there any potential hazards for sailboats in Lake Erie?

Yes, there are potential hazards for sailboats in Lake Erie, such as strong winds, rough waters, and shallow areas. It is important for sailboat operators to be aware of weather conditions and have proper navigation skills to avoid any accidents or mishaps.