A Short Proof of Birkhoff's Theorem - Comments

In summary: Yes, I think that's a fair point. I was originally motivated to come up with an ansatz like this because I wanted to avoid the "black hole argument" that came up in discussions of general relativity a few years ago.
peterdonis submitted a new PF Insights post

A Short Proof of Birkhoff's Theorem

birktheo.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, martinbn, PAllen and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice job. For comparison, I have a proof in my GR book http://www.lightandmatter.com/genrel/ , section 7.4, but it's really very similar. Some other statements and proofs of the theorem that I've seen:

Birkhoff's original proof, in Birkhoff, Relativity and Modern Physics, 1923. A horrible, long monstrosity with an out of date attitude toward the significance of coordinates.

Hawking and Ellis: "Any C^2 solution of Einstein's empty space equations which is spherically symmetric in an open set V, is locally equivalent to part of the maximally extended Schwarzschild solution in V." The part about "maximally extended" is a good point -- I always tend to think about just part of the Schwarzschild spacetime (2 of the 4 regions) and forget that it can be extended.

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0408067 -- "Schwarzschild and Birkhoff a la Weyl," Deser and Franklin. Birkhoff's thm is equivalent to proving that the m in the Schwarzschild metric is constant.

As you point out, the existence of the ##\partial_t## Killing vector doesn't mean that the spacetime is static. However, it *is* asymptotically static, which is kind of the only nontrivial thing being proved. If we knew in advance that it was asymptotically static, then Birkhoff's theorem would amount to no more than the usual derivation of the Schwarzschild metric. Essentially we're seeing that there's no such thing as gravitational monopole radiation.

For a really rigorous proof, I think one needs to deal with the possibility that the metric coefficients blow up or go to zero, and show that these would be only coordinate singularities-- but I don't do that either, just mention it in a footnote.

Likes vanhees71 and atyy
bcrowell said:
Nice job.

Thanks!

bcrowell said:
For a really rigorous proof, I think one needs to deal with the possibility that the metric coefficients blow up or go to zero

Yes, this is true, and IIRC MTW do deal with this in their proof. I think what they do still goes the same way once the wart in their proof is removed as I (and you) remove it. :wink:

Very nice indeed, but you can save MTW's ansatz (which I never understood, why it is made in so many textbooks and not your way, which is more general) by allowing the exponents to become complex. Since the exponentials must be real in the pseudometric, this amounts to adding ##2 n \pi \mathrm{i}## (which changes nothing) or ##(2n+1) \pi \mathrm{i}## with ##n \in \mathbb{Z}##. Then the Minkowskian signature of the metric constrains these possibilities to the solutions you gave. Of course, it's much more simple to just use your ansatz and staying with real quantities all the time during the derivation.

Here's a question: How does this compare with Schwarzschild's original derivation? Is the only difference that Schwarzschild started out assuming a time-independent solution, while this derivation proves that time-independence follows from the assumption of spherical symmetry?

stevendaryl said:
Is the only difference that Schwarzschild started out assuming a time-independent solution, while this derivation proves that time-independence follows from the assumption of spherical symmetry?

No, although that's one difference. The other, more important difference is that Schwarzschild's original derivation used different coordinates; his radial coordinate, which I'll call ##\rho##, was defined in such a way that ##\rho = 0## corresponded to the horizon, not the singularity at what we now call ##r = 0##. This led to several decades of confusion because it was not fully appreciated that (a) a given coordinate chart might not cover all of a given spacetime, and (b) coordinates in themselves have no physical meaning; the physics of any solution is contained in the invariants.

Likes vanhees71
Here's a previous PF discussion on Schwarzschild's original solution:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/schwarzschilds-metric-1916.708045/page-5

As you'll see from some of the links and posts in this thread, there are still people who make the same error that Schwarzschild originally made, thinking that if they defined a "radial coordinate" that had value zero at the horizon, that somehow meant that, physically, there couldn't be any other region of spacetime beneath the horizon.

PeterDonis said:
No, although that's one difference. The other, more important difference is that Schwarzschild's original derivation used different coordinates; his radial coordinate, which I'll call ##\rho##, was defined in such a way that ##\rho = 0## corresponded to the horizon, not the singularity at what we now call ##r = 0##. This led to several decades of confusion because it was not fully appreciated that (a) a given coordinate chart might not cover all of a given spacetime, and (b) coordinates in themselves have no physical meaning; the physics of any solution is contained in the invariants.

Thanks. With the hindsight of 100 years of GR, it's hard to get back into the frame of mind that glosses over the distinction between coordinate-dependent features of a solution and physically meaningful features.

1. What is Birkhoff's theorem?

Birkhoff's theorem, also known as the Birkhoff-Von Neumann theorem, is a fundamental result in classical mechanics that states that any spherically symmetric solution to the Einstein field equations must be static and asymptotically flat. This means that the solution does not change with time and that it approaches a flat spacetime at infinity.

2. How does the proof of Birkhoff's theorem work?

The proof of Birkhoff's theorem relies on the use of the Schwarzschild metric, which describes the spacetime surrounding a non-rotating, spherically symmetric object. By solving the Einstein field equations for this metric, it can be shown that the only possible solution is a static and asymptotically flat one, proving Birkhoff's theorem.

3. What significance does Birkhoff's theorem hold in physics?

Birkhoff's theorem has significant implications in the study of general relativity and cosmology. It allows for the simplification of many calculations involving spherically symmetric systems, making it an important tool in theoretical physics. It also has implications for our understanding of the structure and evolution of the universe.

4. Are there any limitations to Birkhoff's theorem?

While Birkhoff's theorem holds true for classical mechanics, it does not apply to more complex systems, such as those involving rotation or multiple objects. It also assumes that the spacetime is vacuum, meaning there are no sources of matter or energy present. Additionally, it only applies to spherically symmetric solutions and cannot be generalized to other symmetries.

5. Are there any practical applications of Birkhoff's theorem?

Birkhoff's theorem has practical applications in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology. It has been used to study the properties of black holes and to understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It also has implications in the development of GPS technology, as it allows for the accurate calculation of gravitational time dilation.