A shot in the dark -- Need help understanding Special Relativity

In summary, the user joined the forum seeking help understanding time dilation and spatial contraction in relativity. They also expressed some confusion about contradictory information they encountered while watching a video. They were advised to post their question in the relativity forum and provide specific references for better assistance.
Taktix
first off hi all. Just joined, i was looking for someone to help me understand time dilation and spatial contraction in relativity. its not homework just something i was watching, very good btw, but left me with some contradictory information as i see it. if anyone with any level of expertise at all is willing to humor me i would really appreciate it. also not sure how to use forum so may take some time to get back to a response. Thank you ahead of time. Btw, 36, brain spinning with questions so i hope a long correspondence is in store. Basic goal, maybe bring new questions in light or at least shut my brain up lulz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will do yourself a favor asking for resources and teaching materials first. While people here will eagerly help ironing details and clearing confusion, you need to prove you did the first step - put your effort into trying to learn and understand the thing using available sources.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to patronize nor put you down, quite the opposite - I am merely trying to suggest how to get as much as possible from the forum. People often don't understand our policy, ask questions that can be answered with 30 sec googling and then feel mistreated. Don't do that mistake :smile:

Taktix said:
just something i was watching, very good btw, but left me with some contradictory information as i see it
If you do post about this specific "something" (TV show? YouTube video?) in our relativity forum, please give us a link or other specific reference that other people can follow. If you've misinterpreted something, it helps people to see exactly what you saw, so they can straighten you out more easily.

Likes berkeman

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's motion. This theory has been extensively tested and is an essential part of modern physics.

2. How does special relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Special relativity differs from Newtonian mechanics in several ways. Firstly, it considers the speed of light to be constant, whereas Newtonian mechanics assumes that the speed of light is infinite. Additionally, special relativity takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds, which are not accounted for in Newtonian mechanics. Finally, special relativity introduces the concept of spacetime, where space and time are intertwined and cannot be separated.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter 'c', is a fundamental constant in special relativity. It is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel, and it is the same for all observers regardless of their motion. This means that the laws of physics, including the laws of electromagnetism, must be the same for all observers moving at different speeds.

4. Can you give an example of how special relativity is applied in real life?

Special relativity has many practical applications in modern technology, such as GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. For example, GPS systems use special relativity to account for the time dilation of satellites orbiting the Earth, which allows for accurate location and navigation services. Particle accelerators also rely on special relativity to accelerate particles to high speeds and study their behavior.

5. Is special relativity still a valid theory?

Yes, special relativity is still a valid and well-supported theory in modern physics. It has been extensively tested and has consistently been found to accurately describe the behavior of objects at high speeds. In fact, many other theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, build upon the principles of special relativity. However, there are ongoing efforts to reconcile special relativity with other theories, such as quantum mechanics, in order to create a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.