A simple conversion question that im getting wrong

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the energy associated with the atomic bomb explosion over Hiroshima and the energy of a meteorite impact. The problem asks for the number of "Hiroshima Bombs" that would be equivalent to the meteorite impact. The expert suggests using units and converting the energy in joules to kilotons of TNT and then to megatons of TNT to determine the answer. However, the mistake is made in not properly keeping track of the units, leading to incorrect calculations.
nemzy
I am confused why i am not getting this one right..

The energy associated with the atomic bomb explosion over Hiroshima was equivalent to 13 kilotons of TNT. To how many "Hiroshima Bombs" would the metoerite impact have been equivalent?

A meteorite impact has a kinetic energy of 4.5e14

1 atomic bomb = 13 kilotons of TNT

and 1 megaton of TNT = 4.2e15

answer:

this is how i did it..

(4.2e15 megaton)(10^6 ton/1megaton)(1 kiloton/1000 ton)= 4.2e18

(4.2e18 kiloton)(13)=5.46e19

so..4.5e14/5.46e19 =8.24e-6 which is NOT the right answer?

where did i make my mistake? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem asks for the number of Hiroshima bombs, not the energy so you should probably do something like:

[tex]1Meteorit * \frac{4.5 * 10^{14} J}{1 Meteorite}*\frac{1 MT}{4.2 * 10^{15} J} * \frac{1000 KT}{1 MT} * \frac{1 Nuke}{13 KT} [/tex]

Note that the unit on the bottom is on the top in the previous term. As long as you make sure that each of the fractions is equal to 1, you should be OK using this method.

The mistake that you're making is that you're not being careful with your units. For example, in the first product you've got "(4.2e15 megaton)" when it really should be "1 Megaton/4.2e15" or "4.2e15/Megaton" it woud be good to keep the 'J' or whatever units of energy you're using.

Because you're not keeping good track of the units, it's hard to tell whether the results that you're getting are being combined correctly.

You should, for example, be getting that a Kilonton is 1/1000th of a Megaton - so 1 Kiloton TNT = 4.2e12 J and 1 nuke = 13 Kilotons TNT = 5.4 e 13 J. You got some different numbers.

It looks like you made a mistake in converting from megatons to kilotons. Here is the correct conversion:

1 megaton = 1,000 kilotons

So, the correct calculation would be:

(4.5e14 megaton)(1,000 kiloton/1 megaton)(1 atomic bomb/13 kilotons) = 3.46e12 atomic bombs

This means that the meteorite impact would have been equivalent to approximately 3.46 trillion atomic bombs, which is a huge amount of energy! Keep in mind that this is just an estimate and the actual energy released by the impact may vary. Hope this helps!

Related to A simple conversion question that im getting wrong

1. What is a simple conversion question?

A simple conversion question involves converting a given quantity from one unit to another. For example, converting 10 inches to centimeters or 5 pounds to kilograms.

2. What are some common mistakes people make when solving conversion questions?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong conversion factor, forgetting to convert units within the equation, and rounding incorrectly. It's important to pay attention to units and use accurate conversion factors.

3. How can I improve my accuracy in solving conversion questions?

Practice is key when it comes to improving accuracy. Make sure to double check your units and conversion factors, and try to understand the logic behind each conversion. Additionally, using a calculator can help with accuracy.

4. Are there any tips for remembering common conversion factors?

One helpful tip is to create a conversion chart or table and refer to it while practicing. Another tip is to use the "chain link" method, where you cancel out units as you multiply and divide to reach the desired unit.

5. How can I apply conversion questions to real-life situations?

Conversion questions are useful in everyday life, such as converting currency when traveling or converting recipes from one measurement system to another. Understanding how to convert units can also be helpful in fields such as science, engineering, and medicine.