A simple experiment to determine an unknown powder

In summary, the conversation is about determining an unknown white powder from a list of six possible substances. The materials used for testing are acetic acid, phenolphthalein, silver nitrate solution, and 5 grams of white powder. The suggested method is to first use phenolphthalein to determine if the powder is basic, and then perform additional tests with acetic acid and silver nitrate to identify the specific substance. The solubility of the powder can also be tested using spent acid as a water source.
Zaros

Homework Statement

You are given a white powder and it could be one of six substances: calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, sodium hydrogen carbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium chloride and sodium hydroxide. Determine the unknown sample.
Materials: White powder (5g)
Phenolphthalein
Silver nitrate solution
Acetic acid

The Attempt at a Solution

React with acetic acid if it is a carbonate it will bubble (CO2 formed)

React with the silver nitrate solution if it is sodium chloride it will form a cloudy white solution:
AgNO3 + NaCl → AgCl(s) + NaNo3

Now the phenolphthalein changes from colourless to pink when the pH goes above 8.2 so I assume there is some way to find out which one using basic acidic but this is where I start to have trouble as I am unsure what other experiments to do.
Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the solubility of silver carbonate? Silver sulfate?

I'd like to first use phenolphthalein to check whether the given salt is basic or not. It will really classify them in broad sense.

Check how many are basic enough to give positive tests with phenolphthalein?

Zaros said:
React with acetic acid if it is a carbonate it will bubble (CO2 formed)
If you continue to add powder to a sample of acetic acid after bubbling ceases, you will be able to see whether that powder is soluble (i.e., forms an aqueous solution).

You aren't provided with water to test the powders for solubility, so use some spent acid as your water source.

I would suggest conducting a series of tests to determine the unknown powder. First, you can perform a solubility test by adding a small amount of the powder to water and observing if it dissolves. This can help rule out substances that are not water-soluble, such as calcium sulfate.

Next, you can use a pH indicator, such as phenolphthalein, to test the pH of the solution after the powder has been dissolved in water. This can help identify substances that are acidic or basic. For example, if the solution turns pink, it could indicate the presence of sodium hydroxide.

To further narrow down the possibilities, you can conduct a flame test by heating a small amount of the powder over a flame and observing the color of the flame. Different substances produce different colors when burned, which can help identify the unknown powder.

Another test you can perform is a precipitation reaction with silver nitrate. As mentioned in the attempt at a solution, sodium chloride will form a cloudy white solution when reacted with silver nitrate. This can help identify the presence of sodium chloride in the unknown powder.

By combining the results of these tests, you should be able to determine the identity of the unknown powder. However, it is important to keep in mind that these tests may not be definitive and additional tests may be needed for confirmation. It is also important to handle all substances and chemicals with caution and proper safety measures.

1. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include the unknown powder, water, a beaker or test tube, a stirring rod, and a scale.

2. How do I determine the amount of water to use?

The amount of water to use will depend on the amount of unknown powder you have. Generally, a good ratio is 1 part powder to 2 parts water. However, it is important to use enough water to fully dissolve the powder.

3. Can any type of water be used for this experiment?

It is recommended to use distilled or deionized water for this experiment. Tap water may contain impurities that could affect the results of the experiment.

4. How long should I stir the mixture?

You should stir the mixture for at least 1-2 minutes to ensure the powder is fully dissolved. If using a test tube, gently swirl the tube instead of using a stirring rod.

5. How do I determine the identity of the unknown powder?

To determine the identity of the unknown powder, you can compare its properties (such as color, texture, solubility, and reaction to heat) to known substances. You can also conduct further tests, such as a flame test or chemical reactions, to narrow down the possibilities.