Chloride Sulphate in "L S, B C L, S P A" ? Mnemonic?

• Thread starter Merlin3189
  • Start date
  • Tags
    solubility
In summary, the conversation discusses the solubility of various compounds, including potassium, nitrate, chloride, carbonate, and sulphate salts. It also mentions exceptions to the solubility rules, as well as using titration to separate sodium and potassium solutions. The mnemonic "L S, B C L, S P A" is mentioned, but its usefulness is debatable.
Merlin3189
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I came across this in a thread on Na & K carbonates

"Basically, just remember, L S, B C L, S P A
All potassium,nitrate salts are soluble.. however, chlorides,carbonates and sulphates are an exception.For chlorides, all chlorides are soluble except lead chloride and silver chloride..all sulphates are soluble except barium sulphate,chloride sulphate and lead sulphate..for carbonates,sodium,potassium and ammonium carbonate is soluble while the rest are insoluble.. as as sodium and potassium are very reactive when reacted with water due to the reactive series of metals..u can separate sodium and potassium with their solutions by titration, changing them into a oxide or hydroxide... "

I presume the Chloride Sulphate is a typo for Calcium Sulphate? But the thread is not editable.

But secondary question, how do you remember a mnemonic like that? When I read it, I could not at first connect it at all to what followed. Then when I realized it was supposed to be a mnemonic, I had to check it against experience to know whether it was true. It's easy enough to remember these low solubility compounds, because that's what you see when you use them, but how anyone remembers the letters I don't know.

And is it helpful to call these insoluble when Severn Trent / South Staffs supply calcium, carbonate and sulphate ions all in the same solution to my tap?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Merlin3189 said:
Chloride Sulphate is a typo for Calcium Sulphate
Probably.
Merlin3189 said:
how do you remember a mnemonic like that?
You'll have to invent your own scurrilous limerick --- or, do what I do --- ignore it.
Merlin3189 said:
is it helpful to call these insoluble
For introductory chemistry courses, maybe. For any other purposes, it's probably better to realize that everything is soluble to some degree in everything else.

1. What is the purpose of "Chloride Sulphate" in "L S, B C L, S P A" mnemonic?

Chloride Sulphate is used to help remember the order of the elements in the mnemonic "L S, B C L, S P A". It stands for Lithium, Sodium, Beryllium, Calcium, Strontium, and Plutonium, which are the first six elements in the periodic table.

2. How do you pronounce "L S, B C L, S P A" mnemonic?

The mnemonic is pronounced as "ell-ess, bee-see-ell, ess-pee-ay".

3. Why is "Chloride Sulphate" included in the mnemonic and not other elements?

Chloride Sulphate is included because it is a common compound and easy to remember. It also helps to break up the elements into smaller groups, making it easier to memorize.

4. Are there any variations of the mnemonic "L S, B C L, S P A"?

Yes, there are some variations of the mnemonic, such as "L S, B C L, S P A, N C O, F". This includes Nitrogen, Carbon, Oxygen, and Fluorine after Plutonium, making it easier to remember the first 10 elements in the periodic table.

5. How can I use the "L S, B C L, S P A" mnemonic to remember the elements in order?

You can use the mnemonic by first memorizing the letters and elements they represent. Then, you can create a visual image or story to link the letters together in the correct order. For example, you can imagine a bee flying over a sea of lithium and sodium, then landing on a beryllium cliff next to a calcium castle, while a strontium spaceship flies overhead to deliver plutonium to the planet. This visual story can help you remember the order of the elements in the mnemonic.