What Happens to the Current in an LR Circuit After the Switch is Opened?

• Thread starter Abhishekdas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario in which a solenoid of inductance L with resistance r is connected in parallel to a resistance R. A battery of emf E and of negligible resistance is connected across the parallel combination. The conversation focuses on calculating the current through the solenoid after the switch is opened, taking into consideration the role of the inductor and external resistance. The conversation concludes that the current through the inductor will remain the same as before the switch was opened, while the current through other components will change. It is suggested that the scenario can be approached as a sum of decay of current, with the initial current in the inductor as the value and the time constant as L/(r+R).
Abhishekdas

Homework Statement

Please refer to the diagram which i have attached for better understanding...

A solenoid of inductance L with resistance r is connected in parallel to a resistance R. A battery of emf E and of negligible resistance is connected across the parallel combination. At time t=0 switch is opened, calculate current through the solenoid after the switch is opened.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This i guess will not pose too much difficulty for people who have done this topic for sometime but i am pretty new to it...
Anyway as long as switch was closed the inductor played no role...(di/dt = 0)
So we just take into consideration the resistance of the inductor and the external resistance in parallel and get current through each of them in the simple manner...

Now i am not getting exactly what will happen after the switch is opened. After the switch is opened means immediately after right? So just after it is opened what will be the distribution of current in the upper part of the circuit(the lower part has zero current). I think we have to get an equation using Kirchoff'd Law and then integrate it and put t=0.

But i am not being able to frame this equation because i think the current in each just after opening the switch will be same as before then maybe the currrent through one decreases and the other increases then maybe they become uniform and decrease uniformly to become zero after a long time...This is what i think and i guess am totally wrong here...So please help me out and correct my thinking...Waiting for a reply soon...Thank you

Attachments

• lr 1.bmp
    195.9 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Abhishekdas. When the switch opens, the current through the inductor wants to remain as it was before (inductors provide a sort of current inertia). The current through other components isn't so constrained.

So if the current through the inductor before the switch opens is Io, it will still be Io the instant after the switch opens. That means it will flow via the loop that exists with r and R in it. Now you've got a standard RL type circuit with an initial current. What do you know about the general behavior of currents and voltages in RL and RC type circuits?

hi gneill...thanks for the reply...

So you mean to say that whatever be the initial value of current in the resistor it will change instantaneously but the current in the inductor wont?(coz of it resists change in current)

So now does it becomes a sum of decay of current where you simply have to take initial current as the value of current in the Inductor and the time constant as L/(r+R)?

Yessir. That's it.

Got it...Thanks a lot man...

1. What is an LR circuit?

An LR circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both inductance (L) and resistance (R). It consists of a resistor and an inductor connected in series, and it is used to control the flow of electric current.

2. What is the purpose of an LR circuit?

The main purpose of an LR circuit is to create a time-varying current in response to a changing voltage. This makes it useful for many applications, such as in electronic filters, oscillators, and DC power supplies.

3. How does an LR circuit work?

When a voltage is applied to an LR circuit, the inductor initially resists the change in current, causing a buildup of magnetic energy. As the current continues to flow, the magnetic energy is released and the current gradually reaches a steady state. The resistor then limits the flow of current, resulting in a stable oscillation.

4. What is the difference between an LR circuit and an RC circuit?

An LR circuit contains an inductor and a resistor, while an RC circuit contains a resistor and a capacitor. The main difference between the two is that an inductor resists changes in current, while a capacitor resists changes in voltage. This results in different behaviors and applications for each type of circuit.

5. What factors affect the behavior of an LR circuit?

The behavior of an LR circuit is primarily affected by the values of the inductance and resistance, as well as the applied voltage. Additionally, the frequency of the voltage source and the physical properties of the components, such as the size and material of the inductor, can also impact the behavior of the circuit.