A Spider on a rotating disk conservation of momentum

In summary: Angular momentum is always computed relative to a paricular point in space. In your case, the angular momentum (that is conserved) is computed around the center of the disk. You must therefore also express the angular momentum of the spider with respect to this. Hint: angular momentum for constant linear motion is...Its angular momentum relative to the center of the disk.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A 45 rpm record in the shape of a solid disk 25 cm in diameter and mass 0.1 kg rotates about a vertical axle through its center. A 15 g spider rides along the edge of the record. Calculate the final angular speed of the record if the spider drops off without exerting a torque on the record.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted to use the conservation of momentum to solve this problem. So
I first found the platforms moment of inertia
I= 1/2Mr^2
I = 1/2(.1)(.125)^2
I = 7.8125 x 10^-4
Then I found the spiders moment of inertia
I = MR^2
I = (.015)(.125)^2
I = 2.34375 x 10 ^-4
Then I found the momentum
L = IW
L = (7.8125 x 10^-4 + I = 2.34375 x 10 ^-4) (4.7129 rad/sec)
L = .0047860211
Then I compared that to the final momentum after the spider dropped off the disk
.0047860211 = (7.8125 x 10^-4)w
w = 6.126107 rad/sec or 58.50001265759 rpm. The correct answer is 45 rpm
I = (.015)(

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular momentum of the disk and spider is constant. What happens to the spider's component of angular momentum if it slides off without exerting a torque onto the disk?

rcgldr said:
Angular momentum of the disk and spider is constant. What happens to the spider's component of angular momentum if it slides off without exerting a torque onto the disk?

The spiders component becomes zero and is made up for by the increase in angular velocity.

What is the angular momentum of a body in constant linear motion about a point not directly in its path?

Orodruin said:
What is the angular momentum of a body in constant linear motion about a point not directly in its path?
Its mass times its velocity? I don't get what you are saying.

Angular momentum, not linear momentum. In particular, what is the angular momentum of the spider relative to the center of the disk?

Also, if you make a free body diagram of the disk, what forces and torques are acting on it?

Orodruin said:
Angular momentum, not linear momentum. In particular, what is the angular momentum of the spider relative to the center of the disk?

Also, if you make a free body diagram of the disk, what forces and torques are acting on it?

Angular momentum is the angular velocity times the moment of inertia.

So what is the angular velocity of the spider in said situation?

Edit: Also consider ##{\bf L} = {\bf r}\times {\bf p}## for constant linear motion ...

Orodruin said:
So what is the angular velocity of the spider in said situation?

Edit: Also consider ##{\bf L} = {\bf r}\times {\bf p}## for constant linear motion ...
4.71239 rad/sec

So what makes you think the angular momentum of the spider is zero?

Orodruin said:
So what makes you think the angular momentum of the spider is zero?

Because it is flung off the disk.

This is not sufficient. Its angular momentum relative to any point on its trajectory is zero, but the angular momentum you have computed is not wrt a point on its trajectory.

Orodruin said:
This is not sufficient. Its angular momentum relative to any point on its trajectory is zero, but the angular momentum you have computed is not wrt a point on its trajectory.
I'm sorry but I don't understand your point.

BrainMan said:
I'm sorry but I don't understand your point.
The spider will move in a straight line that doesn't not intersect the center of the disk. It's angular momenum is equal to it's linear momentum (mv) times the shortest distance from the center of the disk to the linear path that the spider follows. In this case that distance is equal to the radius of the disk. You can also use the formula where the angular momentum = m v r sin(θ), where θ is the angle between the path line and a line that starts at the center of rotation, and crosses the path at some specific point. At the edge of the disk, θ would be 90°, so sin(θ) would be 1.

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
The spider will move in a straight line that doesn't not intersect the center of the disk. It's angular momenum is equal to it's linear momentum (mv) time the shortest distance from the center of the disk to the linear path that the spider follows. In this case that distance is equal to the radius of the disk.

I thought I included that in my calculation. I did the sum of all the moment of inertia's and then used that to find the total angular momentum. Then I removed the spiders moment of inertia and calculated what the speed had to be for the two momentum's to be equal.

Angular momentum is always computed relative to a paricular point in space. In your case, the angular momentum (that is conserved) is computed around the center of the disk. You must therefore also express the angular momentum of the spider with respect to this. Hint: angular momentum for constant linear motion is the linear momentum multiplied by the shortest distance between the trajectory and the reference point.

The alternative to using conservation of angular momentum is to draw the free body diagram for the disk. If the spider exerts no torque on the disk, what is the net torque on the disk?

Orodruin said:
Angular momentum is always computed relative to a paricular point in space. In your case, the angular momentum (that is conserved) is computed around the center of the disk. You must therefore also express the angular momentum of the spider with respect to this. Hint: angular momentum for constant linear motion is the linear momentum multiplied by the shortest distance between the trajectory and the reference point.

The alternative to using conservation of angular momentum is to draw the free body diagram for the disk. If the spider exerts no torque on the disk, what is the net torque on the disk?
I'm very confused how the spider still be effecting the momentum of the disk when it is not on the disk?

BrainMan said:
Then I removed the spiders moment of inertia.
That's part of the issue. Since the spider slips off the disk without exerting any torque on the disk, then the spiders component of angular momentum doesn't change.

BrainMan said:
I'm very confused how the spider still be effecting the momentum of the disk when it is not on the disk?
In this case it never effects the angular momentum of the disk. It doesn't generate any torque on the disk when it slides off. It continues to move in a straight line that is tangent to the outer edge of the disk.

Likes 1 person
BrainMan said:

It is not doing anyhing with the disk momentum by definition (no torque), but it is the total momentum that is conserved (that of the spider+disk system).

Likes 1 person
rcgldr said:
That's part of the issue. Since the spider slips off the disk without exerting any torque on the disk, then the spiders component of angular momentum doesn't change.

So how do I solve this problem?

BrainMan said:
So how do I solve this problem?
Well if the spider's component of angular momentum doesn't change when the spider slides off the disk, and knowing that the total angular momentum of the disk + spider system doesn't change, and also knowing that the spider did not generate any torque on the disk when it slid off, then is there any effect on the spinning disk?

Likes 1 person
One of two ways:

1) find the angular momentum of the spider *after* falling off with respect to the disk center
2) the free body diagram - what torques act on the disk?

Likes 1 person
rcgldr said:
Well if the spider's component of angular momentum doesn't change when the spider slides off the disk, and knowing that the total angular momentum of the disk + spider system doesn't change, and also knowing that the spider did not generate any torque on the disk when it slid off, then is there any effect on the spinning disk?

No. Should the speed of the disk remain the same?

Yes.

Orodruin said:
Yes.
That's so cool! It's expected that the speed of the disk should increase. So if I jumped off a merry go round while it was moving the speed of the mery go round should stay the same?

Unless you push off the merry-go-round in the tangential direction (ie, generate torque), yes.

Orodruin said:
Unless you push off the merry-go-round in the tangential direction (ie, generate torque), yes.

cool

Note that the angular momentum of the spider and disk would be the same if the spider didn't start off on the disk, but instead was always traveling in a straight line tangent to the edge of the disk, initially approaching the edge of the disk, then reaching the edge of the disk where it's velocity and the velocity of the point on the disk touched by the spider would be the same, and then the spider continuing in a straight line away from the disk.

rcgldr said:
Note that the angular momentum of the spider and disk would be the same if the spider didn't start off on the disk, but instead was always traveling in a straight line tangent to the edge of the disk, initially approaching the edge of the disk, then reaching the edge of the disk where it's velocity and the velocity of the point on the disk touched by the spider would be the same, and then the spider continuing in a straight line away from the disk.
That's very interesting

1. What is the concept of conservation of momentum?

The concept of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal changes or external forces acting on the system. In other words, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

2. How does a rotating disk affect the momentum of a spider?

A rotating disk has angular momentum, which is the momentum of a rotating object. As the spider moves from the center of the disk towards the edge, it experiences a change in the direction of its momentum due to the change in the direction of the disk's rotation. This change in momentum is known as angular momentum conservation.

3. Why does the spider move towards the edge of the disk?

The spider moves towards the edge of the disk because of the conservation of angular momentum. As the spider moves towards the edge, it speeds up due to the decrease in the radius of its circular motion, which results in an increase in its angular velocity. This increase in angular velocity causes the spider to move towards the edge of the disk.

4. Does the spider's mass affect its movement on the rotating disk?

Yes, the mass of the spider does affect its movement on the rotating disk. According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the angular momentum of the spider must remain constant. Therefore, a heavier spider would have a lower angular velocity compared to a lighter spider on the same disk, as the heavier spider would need a larger radius of circular motion to maintain the same angular momentum.

5. What happens to the spider's momentum when it reaches the edge of the disk?

When the spider reaches the edge of the disk, its momentum changes direction due to the change in the direction of the disk's rotation. This change in momentum is known as angular momentum conservation. The spider will continue to rotate with the disk, but its direction of motion will now be tangential to the edge of the disk.