A spinning space station exhibits a change in moment of inertia.

In summary, a crew of 150 people lives on the rim of a space station that is rotating, and when 100 people move to the center for a union meeting, the angular speed changes. The centripetal acceleration experienced by the managers remaining at the rim is 1.859 m/s2.
MacRowan

Homework Statement

A space station shaped like a giant wheel has a radius 95.0 m and a moment of inertia of 5.03✕ 108 kg · m2. A crew of 150 lives on the rim, and the station is rotating so that the crew experiences an apparent acceleration of 1g. When 100 people move to the center of the station for a union meeting, the angular speed changes. What acceleration is experienced by the managers remaining at the rim? Assume that the average mass of each inhabitant is 65.0 kg.

So,

r = 95.0

I = 5.03*108

and

m
ave = 65.0 kg

Δm = 150*m
ave - 100*mave, or mf - mi

Homework Equations

Li = Lf ---> (Iω)i = (Iω)f

ac = rω2, and therefor, w = √(acr)

I = mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

A reminder; I'm looking for the new centripetal acceleration felt by the remaining 50 New Earth colonizers.

I also want to clarify that I chose to determine the total initial moment of inertia by adding the I of the people to that of the provided I for the space station, because I reasoned I couldn't really find the difference without being provided the mass of the space-station, so I'm already unsure of my path here.

There is a change in moment of inertia of the system, so;

Li = Lf

Ii = (I150people) + (5.03*108) = (5.910*108

If = (I50people) + (5.03*108) = (5.350*108

but to find centripetal acceleration I need to relate ac and ω, and then put them into the conservation equation like so;

(5.910*10^8)*(√9.81*95.0) = (5.350*10^8)*(√ac*95.0)

When I isolated acceleration I got a value of 1.859, which my shitty electronic feedback java program says is more than 10% off. At least it's a smaller value, as it should be.

So, obviously I don't have the right answer, but can someone either point out my small error or point out how I have approached the problem entirely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

MacRowan said:

The Attempt at a Solution

A reminder; I'm looking for the new centripetal acceleration felt by the remaining 50 New Earth colonizers.

I also want to clarify that I chose to determine the total initial moment of inertia by adding the I of the people to that of the provided I for the space station, because I reasoned I couldn't really find the difference without being provided the mass of the space-station, so I'm already unsure of my path here.

There is a change in moment of inertia of the system, so;

Li = Lf

Ii = (I150people) + (5.03*108) = (5.910*108

If = (I50people) + (5.03*108) = (5.350*108

but to find centripetal acceleration I need to relate ac and ω, and then put them into the conservation equation like so;

(5.910*10^8)*(√9.81*95.0) = (5.350*10^8)*(√ac*95.0)

First, ac=w2R, so your last equation is not correct. But you can simplify by R, so it does not really count.
I just wonder, how did you get 1.859 m/s2 for ac, or was it 1.859 g?. You miscalculated something.

Last edited:
You're on the right track but w= sqrt(acr) doesn't seem to be correct... which is affecting your last equation.
Your If seems a little off but should be fine for the purpose of this question.
I just got an answer using your values, only correcting the formula for w, and web assign accepted it as a correct answer.

1. How does a spinning space station exhibit a change in moment of inertia?

A spinning space station has a constantly changing distribution of mass due to its rotation. This results in a change in its moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation.

2. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a spinning space station?

The moment of inertia of a spinning space station is affected by its mass, shape, and rotational speed. The further the mass is from the axis of rotation and the faster the station spins, the higher its moment of inertia will be.

3. How does a change in moment of inertia impact the stability of a spinning space station?

A change in moment of inertia can impact the stability of a spinning space station by affecting its angular momentum. If the moment of inertia increases, the angular momentum will decrease, making the station less stable. Conversely, a decrease in moment of inertia can increase stability.

4. Can a spinning space station change its moment of inertia?

Yes, a spinning space station can change its moment of inertia by adjusting its mass distribution or rotational speed. This is often done to maintain stability or to make adjustments for different tasks, such as docking with other spacecraft.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a spinning space station compare to that of a non-spinning space station?

The moment of inertia of a spinning space station is generally higher than that of a non-spinning space station due to the added effects of rotation. This higher moment of inertia can impact the station's stability and the amount of energy needed to change its rotation.