A strange inconsistency when calculating area with decimals

In summary, the seemingly illogical and strange aspect of multiplication and unit conversion arises from comparing numbers with different units, which is an arbitrary exercise. The reversal of usual behavior of numbers in this example is due to the numbers involved, not the units.
dmehling
I have a question about a seemingly illogical and strange aspect of multiplication and unit conversion that I have never noticed until now. It concerns the issue of finding the area of a square/rectangle when the length and width are expressed as decimals/fractions. Ordinarily, when you find the area of a square, the area is a bigger number than the lengths of the sides that are multiplied. That makes perfect sense; if you multiply two numbers that are both greater than one, you get a bigger number. But when the lengths are expressed as decimals, they end up being bigger than the area (product). That still makes sense to me because you are actually finding a percentage of a percentage. What really puzzles me is when you convert to different units of measurement. For example a square that is .5 x .5 inches, which equals .25 square inches. If you wanted to convert it to centimeters, you would multiply .25 by 2.54 x 2.54, which would give you 1.6129 square centimeters. Now if I wanted to find the original lengths of the sides in centimeters, I would take the square root of the area which would give me 1.27 x 1.27 centimeters. To be more concise, this is what I have:

.5 x .5 = .25 square inches

1.27 x 1.27 = 1.6129 square centimeters

What puzzles me is the fact that when using inches, the lengths of the sides are bigger than the area. But when you switch to centimeters, the sides are smaller than the area, just as you would expect when dealing with numbers that are greater than one. So you have a reversal of the usual behavior of numbers in my example, and yet they are still equivalent. Somehow it works out, but it doesn't make sense to me how that is possible. What is going on here? Am I missing something?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You cannot simply compare the numbers as this is a meaningless exercise. In both cases, the numbers come with units and the units are important. An area does not have the same physical dimension as a length and it is therefore completely arbitrary to try to compare them.

dmehling said:
Ordinarily, when you find the area of a square, the area is a bigger number than the lengths of the sides that are multiplied.
Only if the lengths are longer than the length unit. A completely arbitrary comparison.
dmehling said:
the lengths of the sides are bigger than the area.
Comparing the numbers has no proper meaning. It's like saying "3 apples is more than 2 kilometers because 3 is larger than 2".

dmehling said:
To be more concise, this is what I have:

.5 x .5 = .25 square inches

1.27 x 1.27 = 1.6129 square centimeters

What puzzles me is the fact that when using inches, the lengths of the sides are bigger than the area. But when you switch to centimeters, the sides are smaller than the area, just as you would expect when dealing with numbers that are greater than one. So you have a reversal of the usual behavior of numbers in my example, and yet they are still equivalent. Somehow it works out, but it doesn't make sense to me how that is possible. What is going on here? Am I missing something?
This has nothing to do with the units, and is purely a result of the numbers involved. For the first area, the side lengths are less than 1 (inch). If you square a number less than 1, you get a result that is smaller than the number being squared. For the second area, the side length is greater than 1. If you square a number that is larger than 1, the result is larger than the number being squared. That's all that is going on.

What is a strange inconsistency when calculating area with decimals?

A strange inconsistency when calculating area with decimals refers to the discrepancy that occurs when calculating the area of a shape using decimals instead of whole numbers. This inconsistency can result in a slightly different area measurement, which may be confusing or unexpected.

Why does this inconsistency occur?

This inconsistency occurs because decimals are an approximation of a number, while whole numbers are exact. When using decimals to calculate area, the final result may be slightly off due to rounding or truncation.

Is this inconsistency significant?

In most cases, this inconsistency is not significant and will not greatly affect the overall accuracy of the area measurement. However, in certain situations where precision is crucial, it is important to be aware of this inconsistency and adjust calculations accordingly.

How can I avoid this inconsistency?

To avoid this inconsistency, it is best to use whole numbers whenever possible when calculating area. If decimals must be used, it is important to be aware of their approximation and make adjustments accordingly.

Are there any other inconsistencies to watch out for when calculating area?

Yes, there are other potential inconsistencies to be aware of when calculating area. These may include using different units of measurement, rounding errors, and discrepancies in the number of decimal places used. It is important to double check calculations and be aware of potential errors to ensure accurate results.