A Strange Probability Exercise

In summary, the conversation is about a person from Greece who is seeking help with an exercise involving a probability density function. They are looking for someone to explain how to find the expected value of Y when given the conditional probability density function f(y,x). They have also expressed difficulty understanding the function f_x.
Greekguy
Hello and I would like to thank you for your space in this website

I'm from Greece and i have exams in next days

I need some help with an exercise that I can not solve!

There is a probability density function with the following type :

P(Y=y/X=x)=f(y,x)= \(\displaystyle {n \choose y}* {x}^{y} * ({1-x})^{n-y}=\begin{cases} \\ \end{cases}\) (i don't know how to delete the last two symbols the "=" and the "{")
y=0,1,2,,,n

fxX=1 for 0<=x<=1 and fxX=0 in other space. Find E(Y)I wish that there is someone who could help me with this mountain!

Thank you !

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi, Greekguy! (Wave)

It's not clear what $f_x$ represents, because it does not relate to the conditional probability density $f(y,x)$. Could you be more explicit?

Euge said:
Hi, Greekguy! (Wave)

It's not clear what $f_x$ represents, because it does not relate to the conditional probability density $f(y,x)$. Could you be more explicit?
Thank you so much with your time! i exprees the exercise with a photo and if you can, help me :)View attachment 6370

Attachments

• ασκηση2.png
    ασκηση2.png
    48 KB · Views: 52

Related to A Strange Probability Exercise

1. What is "A Strange Probability Exercise"?

"A Strange Probability Exercise" is a hypothetical scenario that involves a strange machine that generates random numbers. The exercise aims to challenge one's understanding of probability and highlight the importance of critical thinking in scientific experiments.

2. How does the strange machine work?

The exact workings of the strange machine are not specified, but it is designed to generate random numbers between 1 and 10. It is important to note that the machine is not flawless and may produce biased or skewed results.

3. What is the purpose of "A Strange Probability Exercise"?

The purpose of this exercise is to demonstrate the concept of probability and how it can be affected by different factors such as bias, sample size, and randomness. It also emphasizes the importance of critically evaluating data and results in scientific experiments.

4. What can we learn from "A Strange Probability Exercise"?

This exercise can help us understand the limitations of probability and the potential for bias in scientific experiments. It also highlights the importance of careful design and analysis in experiments to ensure accurate and reliable results.

5. How can "A Strange Probability Exercise" be applied in real life?

The principles explored in this exercise can be applied in various fields such as statistics, psychology, and market research. It can also help individuals develop critical thinking skills to evaluate data and make informed decisions based on probability.