A Sudden Glacial Outflow Formed the English Channel

In summary, a Glacial lake in the area of the North Sea may have spilled out (twice) over a land bridge connecting England to France and washed it away. This is a mainstream Geology now and is supported by data like the KT boundary, the Missoula scablands, and the Arizona meteor crater.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Similar to the bursting of a dam holding back glacial lake Missula which created a deluge that scoured eastern Washington State and created the Columbia River Gourge, a Glacial lake in the area of the North Sea may have spilled out (twice) over a land bridge connecting England to France and washed it away.

Here is a New York Times article on the Nature article (which for some reason I can access).

Likes davenn, Bandersnatch, 1oldman2 and 2 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Thanks for that Nature link. Not often us amateurs can get access to such detail...

BillTre said:
Similar to the bursting of a dam holding back glacial lake Missula which created a deluge that scoured eastern Washington State and created the Columbia River Gourge, a Glacial lake in the area of the North Sea may have spilled out (twice) over a land bridge connecting England to France and washed it away.

Here is a New York Times article on the Nature article (which for some reason I can access).
Thanks for that Bill!

We've had some interesting discussions on this. I had also seen a documentary on this and had posted about this, then there was some very fierce opposition to it happening posted here.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Evo said:
there was some very fierce opposition to it happening posted here.

Sounds kinda like an expression of uniformitarianism, which was the philosophy of geology after it threw off the ideas of the Old Testament Origin Story (flood and deluges, AKA catastrophism). In reaction to that, uniformitarianism was only accepting of gradual continuous changes as explanations of geology.
Some might say Darwin took this attitude to evolution (gradualism vs. the more dramatic punctuated evolution views.

I think when the Missoula based floods were first proposed by Bretz, he was strenuously opposed by the uniformantarians running major geology departments for many years. After about 40 years, the data supporting the flood events won out and I believe that Bretz was still around to enjoy it.

This seems to me to be a strong example of a battle of scientific paradigms.

Likes Evo
@BillTre -Catastrophic Geology, Catastrophism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catastrophism

This is very mainstream Geology now and is supported by data like the KT boundary, the Missoula scablands, and the Arizona meteor crater.
When I was an undergraduate, plate tectonics was not taught in the undergrad courses I had from the geology department -- ~1962. Tectonics is now understood from a plant geography perspective as well.

When I was in High School (early 70's) I read a little book on plate tectonics, which I found very convincing. That was the first I had heard about it.

I took a physical geography course in college (later 70's) and wrote a report on plate tectonics. I got the impression from the professor it was still considered kind of new then.

It does seem like a reasonable proposition given that in a situation of melting glaciers in northern Europe,
there would be tonnes of water flowing into the North Sea from several European mainland sources,
Eventually it has to find a way to get into the Atlantic, and Nature usually finds the easiest route.
The only other way to play would be by sending the water N around the top of Scotland.

1. What is a sudden glacial outflow and how does it form the English Channel?

A sudden glacial outflow is a large release of water from a melted glacier. This water flows rapidly down valleys and into the ocean. The English Channel was formed during the last ice age when a sudden glacial outflow from a melting ice sheet cut through the land that connected Britain to mainland Europe.

2. How long did it take for the English Channel to form?

The exact time it took for the English Channel to form is not known, but it is estimated that it took several thousand years for the glacial outflow to erode the land and create the channel.

3. Are there any other factors that contributed to the formation of the English Channel?

Yes, the English Channel was also formed by tectonic activity and sea level changes. The land that connected Britain to mainland Europe was gradually sinking due to tectonic movements, and rising sea levels from the melting glaciers also played a role in shaping the channel.

4. How did the formation of the English Channel affect the surrounding regions?

The formation of the English Channel had a significant impact on the surrounding regions. It created a physical barrier between Britain and mainland Europe, leading to the development of distinct cultures and languages. It also changed ocean currents and weather patterns in the region.

5. Is the English Channel still being affected by glacial outflows?

No, the last glacial outflow that formed the English Channel occurred thousands of years ago during the last ice age. However, glacial meltwater still contributes to the channel's water levels and salinity, which affects marine life and ecosystems in the region.