A thought I had about inertia, and derivatives of acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertia and its relation to other time derivative terms such as yank and jerk. The speaker shares their thoughts on how inertia could act as a yank and reduce acceleration when a force is applied. However, the other person corrects them and explains the actual definitions of these terms. They also mention how these higher derivatives may come into play in real-world situations such as rocket launches. The conversation ends with the suggestion to learn more about inertia at Khan Academy and to close the thread.
Sundown444
Well, I just had this thought earlier, and I want to share it. Here it is.

So, we all know about inertia, right? The resistance to acceleration, or change in motion. Well, there is also a concept about derivatives of acceleration, mainly jerk and yank. If you don't know, jerk is said to be the rate of change in acceleration, and yank a rate of change in force. Now, about inertia, here is the thought I have in mind.

If inertia resists acceleration, and therefore reduces it when a force is applied to something, what if inertia actually acted as a yank, and thus jerk to acceleration, reducing it when a force is applied? I mean, I know I could be wrong, because science itself is complex, and there are many possible reasons why I could be wrong. Not to mention that I know that inertia is a property of matter, which is equal to mass, not a force in itself, let alone a yank. Maybe it is a property that provides yank, and thus jerk to acceleration somehow as the resistance to change in motion? Kinda like how friction, even though it is a force unlike inertia, resists motion and slows it down?

Well, that is about it. Feel free to correct me on anything here, or otherwise share your thoughts on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sadly, your notions of relating inertia to yank and jerk are totally off base.

Inertia is the resistance of an object to changing its state of motion. For Newtonian physics, the object could be stationary or it could be moving in a straight line. A force is applied to it results in the object either changing speed or changing direction or both.

The time derivative terms you are looking for beyond acceleration are: jerk(aka jolt), snap(aka jounce), crackle and pop and for force are: yank, tug, snatch, and shake

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/jerk.html
Momentum = mass x velocity

Force = mass x acceleration

Yank = mass x jerk

Tug = mass x snap

Snatch = mass x crackle

Shake = mass x pop

You can learn more about inertia at Khan Academy:

Basic physics seldom covers these higher derivatives which can come into play in real-world problems.

Some examples of where that might happen is in a rocket launch. The rocket accelerates upward to counter the force of gravity. As it moves it is losing mass due to burning its fuel and expelling the gases. Of course, modern rockets control the burn rate to maintain a constant acceleration and minimize fuel consumption.

Since there is nothing more to say here, it's time to close the thread.

Likes sophiecentaur, Ibix and berkeman

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is inertia related to acceleration?

Inertia is directly related to acceleration through Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the more massive an object is, the more inertia it has, and the harder it is to accelerate.

3. What are derivatives of acceleration?

Derivatives of acceleration refer to the rate of change of acceleration over time. This can be calculated using calculus and is important in understanding the motion of objects with changing acceleration, such as in circular motion or when an object is undergoing acceleration due to a changing force.

4. How does inertia affect the motion of objects?

Inertia affects the motion of objects by determining how they respond to external forces. Objects with more inertia will require more force to accelerate, while objects with less inertia will require less force. Inertia also allows objects to maintain their state of motion, making it difficult to change their speed or direction.

5. Can inertia be overcome?

Yes, inertia can be overcome by applying a force to an object. This force will cause the object to accelerate and change its state of motion. However, the amount of force needed to overcome inertia depends on the mass of the object - the more massive the object, the more force is needed to accelerate it.