Why Is Momentum Conserved in a Variable Mass System Like a Sand-Laden Cart?

In summary: The sand loses its momentum because the gremlin throws sand at it just hard enough so that it becomes motionless with respect to the ground beneath.
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

A cart with no motor moves on a plane. At t=0 it has a mass equal to m0 and some velocity. Each second sand with a mass of α comes out of the cart with a velocity of 0 in relation to the plane. What is the equation of motion of the cart?

Answer: dV/dt=αv(t)/(m0-αt)

Homework Equations

F=dP/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I can't understand why the momentum of cart is conserved. I mean, if sand comes out of it with a velocity that is different than the velocity of the cart there has to be some force involved right?

What I get is dV/dt=2αv(t)/(m0-αt), because the loss of momentum of the sand translates into some force that the cart applies on it (I believe). What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eitan Levy said:
Basically I can't understand why the momentum of cart is conserved. I mean, if sand comes out of it with a velocity that is different than the velocity of the cart there has to be some force involved right?

No force will affect the motion of the cart because the sand particles fall vertically downwards while the cart moves in a horizontal direction. Thus, there is no force which affects the linear momentum of the cart.

Adhruth Ganesh said:
No force will affect the motion of the cart because the sand particles fall vertically downwards while the cart moves in a horizontal direction. Thus, there is no force which affects the linear momentum of the cart.
But what causes the sand to suddenly lose its momentum?

There is an internal force in the sand-card system. However, since the sand momentum is zero, conservation of momentum in the sand-cart system therefore requires that the momentum of the cart remains the same. Note that the momentum of just the cart is actually increasing because some of that momentum was previously carried by the sand.

Eitan Levy said:
But what causes the sand to suddenly lose its momentum?
The problem says that it does. If you wish, you can imagine a gremlin standing on the cart and carefully throwing grains of sand rearward just hard enough so that they become motionless with respect to the ground beneath.

Adhruth Ganesh said:
No force will affect the motion of the cart because the sand particles fall vertically downwards
How did the sand go from moving at the same velocity as the cart to falling vertically (in the rest frame)?

1. What is a variable mass problem?

A variable mass problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of an object with a changing mass. This could be due to the object losing or gaining mass, or due to a variable force acting on the object.

2. How is a variable mass problem different from a constant mass problem?

In a constant mass problem, the mass of the object remains the same throughout the motion. However, in a variable mass problem, the mass changes and must be taken into account when analyzing the motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of variable mass problems?

One example is a rocket accelerating into space, as the fuel is burned and the rocket loses mass. Another example is a car driving up a hill, as the car gains potential energy and loses mass due to the burning of fuel.

4. How do you solve a variable mass problem?

To solve a variable mass problem, you must use the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. This involves setting up equations for the initial and final states of the object and solving for the unknown variables.

5. What are the applications of variable mass problems?

Variable mass problems have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to analyze the motion of rockets, airplanes, and other vehicles, as well as to understand the behavior of objects in space. They also have applications in fields such as fluid dynamics and chemistry.