A variation of the Bell experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of transformations to a Bell state and the resulting probabilities of the qbits ending up in certain states. There is a question about whether there are any false assumptions or math mistakes in the discussion. The conversation also touches on the concept of measurement and observation in quantum mechanics.
dsoodak

If we start with a Bell state

1/Sqrt(2)(|00>+|11>)

and (after moving the second qbit a significant distance away) apply the interferometer transformation
|0> -> 0.5(|0>+|1>)
|1> -> 0.5(|0>-|1>)

to the first qbit, we get
0.5/Sqrt(2)((|0>+|1>)|0>+(|0>-|1>)|1>)
=0.5/Sqrt(2)(|00>+|10>+|01>-|11>)
which gives equal probability of the first qbit ending up in |0> or |1>

Lets now start again with the same spatially separated Bell state but first apply the transformation

|0> -> 0.5(|0>+|1>)
|1> -> 0.5(|0>+|1>)
to the second qbit:

0.5/Sqrt(2)(|0>(|0>+|1>)+|1>(|0>+|1>))
=0.5/Sqrt(2)(|00>+|01>+|10>+|11>)

then apply the original (interferometer) transformation to the first qbit:
0.25/Sqrt(2)((|0>+|1>)|0>+(|0>+|1>)|1>+(|0>-|1>)|0>+(|0>-|1>)|1>)
=0.25/Sqrt(2)(|00>+|10>+|01>+|11>+|00>-|10>+|01>-|11>)
=0.5/Sqrt(2)(|00>+|01>)

Now, the first qbit is in state |0> with 100% (as opposed to 50%) probability as a result of what was done to the second one.

So...can anyone tell me if I made any false assumptions or stupid math mistakes here?

Dustin Soodak

Physics news on Phys.org
dsoodak said:
Lets now start again with the same spatially separated Bell state but first apply the transformation
|0> -> 0.5(|0>+|1>)
|1> -> 0.5(|0>+|1>)

This transformation isn't reversible, so I think you have to measure the state and collapse the wave function before doing the transformation. After collapsing the wave function, the state should be a mixed state, not a pure state, ie. with 50% chance the state is |0>(|0>+|1>), and with 50% chance the state is |1>(|0>+|1>).

The way I've always seen it described in this sort of experiment, something counts as a measurement if the information about the state leaks out.
I originally thought this transformation could be done (using photons as qbits) with an interferometer that has one path length 1/4 wavelength longer than the other. However, I suppose you could then get info about the photon's path information from the difference in travel time.

dsoodak said:
The way I've always seen it described in this sort of experiment, something counts as a measurement if the information about the state leaks out.

Cant quite follow your idea here - information about state leaks out?

In modern times an observation is generally considered to have occurred just after decoherence.

Thanks
Bill

What is the Bell experiment?

The Bell experiment, also known as the Bell test or Bell inequality, is a scientific experiment that tests the concept of quantum entanglement. It was proposed by physicist John Stewart Bell in 1964 to demonstrate the non-local nature of quantum mechanics.

What is the purpose of a variation of the Bell experiment?

A variation of the Bell experiment is designed to test different aspects of quantum entanglement and its implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. These variations can help scientists refine their theories and potentially uncover new phenomena.

How does a variation of the Bell experiment differ from the original experiment?

A variation of the Bell experiment may differ from the original in terms of the setup, the particles being used, or the measurements being taken. This allows scientists to test different scenarios and gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of quantum mechanics.

What are some potential applications of the Bell experiment?

The Bell experiment has potential applications in quantum cryptography, quantum teleportation, and quantum computing. It could also have implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the fundamental laws of the universe.

How does the Bell experiment support the theory of quantum mechanics?

The Bell experiment provides evidence for the non-local nature of quantum mechanics, which is a fundamental aspect of this theory. It also supports the idea of quantum entanglement, where particles can become correlated in a way that defies classical explanations. These concepts are essential to our understanding of the quantum world.