A window cleaner holding his platform up with a rope and pulley

PAULLIM
New user has been reminded to always show their work when posting schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
A window-cleaner of mass 75 kg sits in a cradle of mass 15 kg. The cradle is suspended by a light rope PQ passing over a light frictionless pulley hung by a rope R from a fixed beam on a high building, as shown in the diagram. The cleaner pulls the rope with a force such that the cradle and the cleaner remains stationary. The tension in rope PQ = ?
Relevant Equations
Newton‘s Laws
The answer is 441N instead of 883N, but why? can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

It would be good to see the diagram.

That said, this question comes up quite often. Tension is a two-way force in an elastic material. To have a tension ##T## in a rope, you need a force equal to ##T## at both ends of the rope. If you only have a force at one end, then the rope accelerates and has effectively no tension.

Likes PhDeezNutz
I haven't seen your work so I don't know where you are stumbling but here's my guess.

There are 3 forces acting on the cradle(T,N,Mg). And 3 forces acting on the person (T,N,mg). You might think that just because the person is pulling that the tension is not acting on them....but the Tension is a reaction force and what does newtons 3rd law say?

Some diagrams:

Case 1: static equilibrium: a rope is pulled at both ends with a force of magntitude ##F##. The tension in the rope is ##F##.
$$F \ \leftarrow --------\leftarrow (T = F) \rightarrow ------- \rightarrow \ F$$
Case 2: a rope is pulled at one end with a force of magntitude ##T##. The rope accelerates to the right and there is negligible tension in the rope.
$$ --------\leftarrow (T \approx 0) \rightarrow ------- \rightarrow \ F$$
A better analysis of the second case would involve the mass of the rope and a tension that reduces from right to left from ##F## to ##0##.
$$ -\leftarrow (T = 0) \rightarrow-------\leftarrow (T = F/2) \rightarrow ------\leftarrow (T = F) \rightarrow - \rightarrow \ F (a = F/m)$$

Alternatively, take the free body such that it encapsulates man, the cradle, and severs the rope on each side of the pulley. Given that choice, the normal force of the chair on the man ##N## becomes internal...not relevant here.

And here is (yet) another way to think about this. Look at the figure below left. A screen hides what's below the pulley which is and remains at rest.. If I told you that equal masses ##m## are tied to the two ends of the string, you would say that the tension in each side of the string is ##T_1=mg## and that the string that supports the pulley at its axis would add up to the total weight ##T=2T_1=2mg.##

Now I remove the screen to show you what's really behind it (figure right). Would the balance of tensions change simply because I misinformed you about what's behind the screen?

ManOnPlatform.png

Last edited:
Likes gmax137, jbriggs444 and bob012345
PAULLIM said:
Homework Statement: A window-cleaner of mass 75 kg sits in a cradle of mass 15 kg. The cradle is suspended by a light rope PQ passing over a light frictionless pulley hung by a rope R from a fixed beam on a high building, as shown in the diagram. The cleaner pulls the rope with a force such that the cradle and the cleaner remains stationary. The tension in rope PQ = ?
Relevant Equations: Newton‘s Laws

The answer is 441N instead of 883N, but why? can anyone help?
I would assume it is because T1 is the total tension in rope pq, and therefore even though 2T1 =883, and T1 is pulling on both sides of the pully, it is still the same tension force in the entirety of the rope ( I could be wrong about this and if someone wishes to prove me wrong please do so)

Elj said:
I would assume it is because T1 is the total tension in rope pq, and therefore even though 2T1 =883, and T1 is pulling on both sides of the pully, it is still the same tension force in the entirety of the rope ( I could be wrong about this and if someone wishes to prove me wrong please do so)
Yes, that is the argument used by myself in post #5, and by @kuruman in post #6.

1703875266776.png

Last edited:
Elj said:
##\dots~## it is still the same tension force in the entirety of the rope ##~\dots##
Yes, that's the idea. Ideal massless pulleys change the direction of the tension but not its magnitude. Pulleys with mass, as you will probably see later, change both the direction and magnitude of the tension.

kuruman said:
Pulleys with mass, as you will probably see later, change both the direction and magnitude of the tension.
… but only if undergoing rotational acceleration.

Likes erobz
haruspex said:
… but only if undergoing rotational acceleration.
Not necessarily "only if". When the bearings of a pulley (massive or ideal) seize, you essentially have a capstan as long as there is friction between rope and pulley. The pulley does not have rotational acceleration yet the tensions on each side do not match.

Likes hutchphd and erobz
kuruman said:
Not necessarily "only if". When the bearings of a pulley (massive or ideal) seize, you essentially have a capstan as long as there is friction between rope and pulley. The pulley does not have rotational acceleration yet the tensions on each side do not match.
My remark was in the context of "pulleys with mass [imply]". Having mass only implies a tension difference if there is rotational acceleration. Axial friction is a separate cause.

Likes hutchphd, PhDeezNutz, kuruman and 1 other person
Yeah some posters have been killing it with images. Not just @erobz but @kuruman as well (in other threads).

Likes erobz
PhDeezNutz said:
Yeah some posters have been killing it with images. Not just @erobz but @kuruman as well (in other threads).
Thanks for the shout out! I figure the amount of time it can take just to get on the same page, it’s just worthwhile to go ahead and make the diagram for everyone to use. Ideally the OP would do it, but it rarely seems to happen that way.

Likes PhDeezNutz
PhDeezNutz said:
(in other threads).
This thread too. See post #6. I am a firm believer that one figure is worth 1 kiloword.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. How does a window cleaner hold his platform up with a rope and pulley?

The window cleaner uses a rope and pulley system to raise and lower the platform. By pulling on the rope, the window cleaner can adjust the height of the platform as needed.

2. Is it safe for a window cleaner to rely on a rope and pulley system?

When used properly and maintained regularly, a rope and pulley system can be a safe and effective way for a window cleaner to hold up their platform. It is important for the window cleaner to follow safety guidelines and protocols to ensure their own safety.

3. What are the benefits of using a rope and pulley system for window cleaning?

A rope and pulley system allows for easy adjustment of the platform height, making it easier for the window cleaner to reach different areas of the building. It also provides stability and support for the platform, allowing the cleaner to work safely and efficiently.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a rope and pulley system for window cleaning?

While a rope and pulley system can be a safe and effective method for holding up a platform, there are risks involved if the system is not properly maintained or used incorrectly. It is important for the window cleaner to be trained in the proper use of the system and to regularly inspect and maintain the equipment.

5. How can a window cleaner ensure the rope and pulley system is in good working condition?

To ensure the rope and pulley system is in good working condition, the window cleaner should inspect the equipment regularly for any signs of wear or damage. They should also follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and replacement of parts as needed. Additionally, the window cleaner should receive proper training on how to use the system safely and effectively.