A window washer pulls herself upward using the bucket-pulley

• Thread starter Anant Joshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary, a person with a mass of 68 kg is using a bucket-pulley apparatus to pull themselves upward. To maintain a constant speed, they must push downward with a force of 330N. If this force is increased by 16%, the acceleration of the person and bucket will be 1.6 m/s^2. This is calculated using the equation (330N)(2)=(68kg)(a), where a represents acceleration. The reason for multiplying the force by 2 is because the system experiences two opposing forces: the force of tension from the pulley and the force of gravity.
Anant Joshi

Homework Statement

A window washer pulls herself upward using the bucket-pulley apparatus . The mass of the person plus the bucket is 68 kg . a)how much force must she push downward to raise herself at a constant speed?
b)If she increases this force by 16 % , what will her acceleration be?
>>so I was able to find the first part, and rounded, the force was 330N
the answer for part b is 1.6 m/s^2. I know the force of tension and gravity cancel each other out.
i also know how to find part b, >> (330N)(2)=(68kg)(a), and acceleration is 1.6 m/s^2
what i do not understand is why do I have to multiply the 330 by 2 instead of leaving it as 330.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part b, I assume you meant (330N)(2)(16%) etc.
But to answer your question, consider the system consisting of the washer and bucket. What forces act on it?

1. How does the bucket-pulley system work in window washing?

The bucket-pulley system is a simple machine that utilizes a combination of a pulley and a bucket to lift or lower objects. In the case of window washing, the bucket is attached to a rope or cable that runs through a pulley attached to the top of the building. By pulling on the other end of the rope, the window washer can raise or lower the bucket to the desired height.

2. What is the advantage of using a bucket-pulley system for window washing?

The bucket-pulley system allows a window washer to easily and safely reach high windows without having to physically climb up and down a ladder. It also allows for more precise control and positioning of the bucket, making it easier to clean hard-to-reach areas.

3. What is the role of friction in a bucket-pulley system?

Friction plays a crucial role in a bucket-pulley system. Without sufficient friction between the pulley and the rope, the rope would simply slip through the pulley and the window washer would not be able to control the position of the bucket. However, too much friction can also make it more difficult to pull the rope and move the bucket.

4. Is a bucket-pulley system a simple or compound machine?

A bucket-pulley system is considered a compound machine. It combines the simple machine of a pulley with the simple machine of a lever (the pulling action of the rope) to create a more efficient and powerful system for lifting and lowering objects.

5. How does the weight of the bucket and the window washer affect the system?

The weight of the bucket and the window washer will affect the system by increasing the amount of force required to pull the rope and raise the bucket. This is due to the principle of mechanical advantage, where the weight of the load being lifted is multiplied by the number of ropes supporting it. Therefore, a heavier load will require more force to lift.