A worker lifts a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the minimum amount of work required to lift a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground to the top of a 20.0-m-tall building. The solution involves calculating the change in potential energy and kinetic energy of the bucket, and adding them together to find the total work done. The final answer is found to be 3894 J.
Timmy1221

Homework Statement

1. A worker lifts a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground up to the top of a 20.0-m-tall building. The bucket is initially at rest, but is traveling at 4.0 m/s when it reaches the top of the building. What is the minimum amount of work that the worker did in lifting the bucket?

Homework Equations

F= ma
W= Fd
F=KE at the tope of the building

The Attempt at a Solution

Since bucket has KE at the top of the building, would I be finding the KE using KE=(1/2)mv^2 equation and then plugging that final number into my W=Fd equation where d would be 20.0 m?

Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Timmy1221 said:
(snip) ... and then plugging that final number into my W=Fd equation where d would be 20.0 m?

How were you "plugging it in?"

Bystander said:
How were you "plugging it in?"
I solved for F in my equation of W=Fd by using the kinetic energy formula. I did (1/2)*(20)*(4^2) and got 160J. I plugged that into the W=Fd as my F. So then I solved doing F=160J and d=20m but I got 3200 N*m instead and that's not the right answer. The answer is 4.08kN*m apparently

How much work do you do getting the bucket to the top of the building?

Bystander said:
Would that be the 3200?

Bystander said:
I'm confused with that question actually

Let's start at the beginning. What is the minimum force you must apply to lift the bucket?

You are overlooking the change in potential energy of the bucket between the ground and the top of the building.

You also don't know how the bucket acquired the velocity of 4 m/s (whether it was constant the whole time the bucket was rising or if it was in the last second before the bucket reached the top of the building. The best you can do is calculate the KE of the bucket and add it to the change in potential energy.

SteamKing said:
You are overlooking the change in potential energy of the bucket between the ground and the top of the building.

You also don't know how the bucket acquired the velocity of 4 m/s (whether it was constant the whole time the bucket was rising or if it was in the last second before the bucket reached the top of the building. The best you can do is calculate the KE of the bucket and add it to the change in potential energy.
So is this what you're saying I should do?

Find the PE=mgh=(20)(9.8)(20)=784 J
And find the KE=(1/2)(20kg)(4.0^2)=3200 J
And then add PE+KE so that my final answer is 784+3200=3894?
Because the final answer is supposed to be 4.08kN*m

Excuse me, KE at top of a Building? isn't that suppose to be Potential Energy??

CaptCoonoor said:
Excuse me, KE at top of a Building? isn't that suppose to be Potential Energy??

So what would I do to get my final answer?

Would I solve for my PE with the given numbers from the problem?

I'm feel like I'm getting nowhere

Timmy1221 said:
F=KE at the tope of the building

Timmy1221 said:

You have the method. Now, you need to double check your arithmetic. Once you've done that, you can point at the source of the 4.08 kNm final answer and laugh loudly.

Likes Timmy1221
Bystander said:
You have the method. Now, you need to double check your arithmetic. Once you've done that, you can point at the source of the 4.08 kNm final answer and laugh loudly.
I can truly be such an idiot sometimes. Thanks I think I need some sleep

Timmy1221 said:
So is this what you're saying I should do?

You might want to check your arithmetic on the calculation of PE again. IDK how you can multiply 400 * 20 and come out with 784.
Ditto the calculation of the KE. IDK how you get 3200 J for this either.

And what do you think a Joule is equal to? You should also check its definition as well.

1. How much work is done when lifting a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground?

The amount of work done when lifting a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground is calculated by multiplying the weight of the bucket (20.0 kg) by the distance it is lifted. This is known as the work-energy principle and is measured in joules (J).

2. How much force is needed to lift a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground?

The amount of force needed to lift a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground depends on the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the mass of the bucket (20.0 kg). Using Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), we can calculate that a force of 196 N is needed to lift the bucket.

3. How does the distance the bucket is lifted affect the amount of work done?

The distance that the bucket is lifted is directly proportional to the amount of work done. This means that the higher the bucket is lifted, the more work is done. This is because the work done is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance moved in the direction of the force.

4. What other factors may affect the amount of work done when lifting a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground?

Other factors that may affect the amount of work done include the angle at which the bucket is lifted, the speed at which it is lifted, and any external forces acting on the bucket (such as friction or air resistance). These factors can either increase or decrease the amount of work done.

5. Is there a limit to how much work can be done when lifting a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground?

Yes, there is a limit to how much work can be done when lifting a 20.0-kg bucket of concrete from the ground. This is known as the work limit or the maximum amount of work that can be done before the person doing the lifting becomes fatigued and unable to continue. This limit varies for each individual and can also be affected by factors such as physical fitness and technique.