AAPT 2023 Physics Bowl Blunder

In summary: This is a good question because it exposes a common mistake students make when trying to understand the normal force-thinking that it is always greater than the weight.
kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
I was looking at the AAPT 2023 Physics Bowl questions (and answers) found here
https://aapt.org/programs/physicsbowl/currentexam.cfm
and multiple choice question 6 caught my eye:

Consider one horizontal circular path that a ball makes on the inside surface of a cone. In this situation, the normal force on the ball
a. is mg.
b. is always greater than mg.
c. may be greater or less than mg.
d. is always less than mg.
e. depends upon the speed of the ball.

The posted correct answer is B
The normal vector has a greater magnitude than its vertical component (magnitude of mg). The magnitude of the normal vector is also greater than the horizontal component, the net force directed to the center of circular motion.

Only one answer is allowed which implies that the rest are incorrect. Not so. Since the ball moves in a horizontal circle, the vertical component of the normal force must be equal to the weight and the horizontal component provides the centripetal acceleration.
Let = the half-angle of the cone. Then $$\begin{align} & N\sin\!\alpha=mg \nonumber \\ & N\cos\!\alpha =\frac{mv^2}{r} \nonumber \\ & \sqrt{N^2\sin^2\!\alpha+N^2\cos^2\!\alpha}=N=\sqrt{(mg)^2+\left(\frac{mv^2}{r}\right)^2}.
\nonumber \end{align}$$It looks like both B and E are correct answers. I expected better from the AAPT.

(Edited to fix the equations' format.)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
Only one answer is allowed which implies that the rest are incorrect.
I believe the instructions say "Choose the best answer."

I also don't think the distractors are good. If you just gave me the answers and not the question, I could exclude C and E as likely possibilities.

Vanadium 50 said:
I believe the instructions say "Choose the best answer."
I didn't see this instruction anywhere here. Maybe I have the wrong document. In any case, I really don't see why the normal force "depends upon the speed of the ball" is not as good as "is always greater than the weight". The mathematical expression for the normal force says it all.

I agree that the distractors could be better. For example, replace E with

"The normal force is equal to ##mg\cos\!\alpha## where ##\alpha## is the cone half-angle."

Then the centripetal is component is cut out and the question is entirely focused on the comparison between the normal force and the weight.

1. What is the AAPT 2023 Physics Bowl Blunder?

The AAPT 2023 Physics Bowl Blunder refers to an incident that occurred during the annual Physics Bowl competition organized by the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) in 2023. It involved a mistake made by the organizers, resulting in a controversial outcome of the competition.

2. What caused the blunder during the AAPT 2023 Physics Bowl?

The exact cause of the blunder is still being investigated by the AAPT. However, it is believed that a technical error in the scoring system led to incorrect results being announced.

3. How did the participants react to the AAPT 2023 Physics Bowl Blunder?

The participants were understandably disappointed and frustrated with the outcome of the competition. Many of them expressed their concerns and dissatisfaction with the AAPT's handling of the situation.

4. What actions were taken by the AAPT to address the blunder?

The AAPT issued a public apology for the mistake and promised to thoroughly review their scoring system to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future. They also offered to re-evaluate the results and award additional prizes to the affected participants.

5. What lessons can be learned from the AAPT 2023 Physics Bowl Blunder?

The blunder serves as a reminder for event organizers to have thorough and reliable systems in place to prevent technical errors and to handle mistakes promptly and transparently. It also highlights the importance of effective communication and transparency in addressing issues and concerns raised by participants.