A block on an accelerating wedge

In summary: Oh I think I get it-- in this case the value of the acceleration will be constant, which means that we still have two variables to solve. Thank you!
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
This is a statement.
Relevant Equations
This is an equation.
119d7e6a6edde9801eb08ef273ef81f9.png

For question b, the official solution sets up a non-inertial coordinate on the block and writes out the following two equations:
$$\begin{cases}
\begin{align*}
f\cos(\theta)+N\sin(\theta)-mg=0 \qquad \hat\jmath
\\
N\cos(\theta)+f\sin(\theta)=ma \qquad\quad\;\;\, \hat\imath
\end{align*}
\end{cases}$$
1595632949641.png

The questions above are true because the horizontal acceleration of the block must be the same as the acceleration of the wedge to keep the former on the latter.

However, if I try to solve for the normal force using (2), I will obtain ##N=\frac{mg}{\mu \sin(\theta) + \cos(\theta)}## which shows that the magnitude of the normal force is independent to the acceleration.

This counterintuitive conclusion confuses me-- if you push it with a greater horizontal force, the block will be pinned harder to the ground because the block needs a stronger force to accelerate in lockstep with the wedge, and therefore creates a larger normal force. Could someone explain me why this is the case? Thanks in advance :).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you solved for the normal force, you assumed that ##f = \mu N##. This is the value of ##f## when the acceleration has the specific value that puts the block on the verge of slipping. For general values of acceleration, you cannot assume ##f = \mu N##.

• Informative
Likes Leo Liu
TSny said:
When you solved for the normal force, you assumed that ##f = \mu N##. This is the value of ##f## when the acceleration has the specific value that puts the block on the verge of slipping. For general values of acceleration, you cannot assume ##f = \mu N##.
So can you please tell me what the friction force will be if the block is not on the verge of slipping?

Leo Liu said:
So can you please tell me what the friction force will be if the block is not on the verge of slipping?
##f## and ##N## will depend on the acceleration of the system. When the block is not slipping, then you can use your two equations to solve for ##f## and ##N## for a given acceleration.

TSny said:
##f## and ##N## will depend on the acceleration of the system. When the block is not slipping, then you can use your two equations to solve for ##f## and ##N## for a given acceleration.
Oh I think I get it-- in this case the value of the acceleration will be constant, which means that we still have two variables to solve. Thank you!

1. What is a block on an accelerating wedge?

A block on an accelerating wedge is a physics problem that involves a block of mass placed on a wedge that is accelerating horizontally. The block will experience a net force due to the acceleration of the wedge, causing it to move in a certain direction.

2. How is the acceleration of the block on an accelerating wedge calculated?

The acceleration of the block on an accelerating wedge can be calculated using the formula a = (m1 + m2) * sin(theta) / (m1 + m2 * cos(theta)), where m1 is the mass of the block and m2 is the mass of the wedge, and theta is the angle of the wedge's incline.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of the block on an accelerating wedge?

The acceleration of the block on an accelerating wedge is affected by the mass of the block and wedge, the angle of the wedge's incline, and the net force acting on the block due to the acceleration of the wedge.

4. How does the direction of acceleration change if the block is placed on a frictionless surface?

If the block is placed on a frictionless surface, the direction of acceleration will be solely determined by the angle of the wedge's incline. This is because there is no friction to oppose the motion of the block, so the net force acting on the block will be in the direction of the wedge's incline.

5. What is the significance of studying a block on an accelerating wedge?

Studying a block on an accelerating wedge allows us to understand the principles of Newton's laws of motion and how forces affect the motion of objects. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and mechanics, where understanding the behavior of objects on inclined surfaces is important.