ABCD Matrix of transmison line

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the ABCD matrix element value and the reflection coefficient ρ at position 1. The speaker asks for help in determining the relationship between V(1)+ and V(1)-, and the other person suggests using the known value of Z0 to find the abcd parameters. They also mention equations for eliminating the + and - waves and finding the values for V1 and I1.
baby_1
Hello
I want to obtain ABCD matrix element value.At first I tried to find A element value with boundary conditions but I don't know how can I find relationship between V(1)+ and V(1)- .
3721568100_1430153626.jpg

Any help appreciate

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to determine the reflection coefficient ρ at position 1? 'Cause that's what Vo1-/Vo1+ is.
A convenient way to find ρ is to put the source at z = 0 and the load at z = L where L is the physical length of the transmission line.

Likes baby_1
Thank you dear rude man
Before post this thread I think that I can use reflection coefficient too but as you know I don't have any other information before point 1 and my Z0 in this equation is unknown.
6490641500_1430751437.jpg

In post 1 you seem to state that Z0 was known. Anyway, it has to be known or you can't find the abcd parameters.

Thank you for accompany me
Here is my question we don't have any information before Point 1(Z1) how can define relationship between V+ and V-?
9658672700_1430761152.jpg

I'm having trouble understanding what you say and what you write.
Let me instead suggest:
V1 = V2+e + V2-e-jθ
V2 = V2+ + V2-
Γ2 = V2-/V2+ = (Z2 - Z0)/(Z2 + Z0).
Z2 = V2/I2
You can eliminate the + and - waves using the above.
And there are similar equations for I1, I2+ and I2-.
You wind up with
V1 = AV2 + BI2
I1 = CE2 + DI2
where A, B, C and D contain only θ and Z0.

Last edited:

Related to ABCD Matrix of transmison line

1. What is the ABCD matrix of transmission line?

The ABCD matrix of transmission line is a mathematical representation of a transmission line that describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves through the line. It is used to calculate the voltage, current, and impedance at any point along the line.

2. How is the ABCD matrix calculated?

The ABCD matrix is calculated based on the physical parameters of the transmission line, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and material properties. The matrix is derived using Maxwell's equations and the boundary conditions at the ends of the line.

3. What are the elements of the ABCD matrix?

The elements of the ABCD matrix are A, B, C, and D, which represent the voltage and current amplitudes at the input and output of the transmission line. A and D are unitless parameters, while B and C have units of impedance.

4. What is the significance of the ABCD matrix in transmission line analysis?

The ABCD matrix is a powerful tool for analyzing transmission lines because it allows for the calculation of the voltage and current at any point along the line. It is also used to determine the reflection coefficient and standing wave ratio, which are important parameters in evaluating the performance of a transmission line.

5. How is the ABCD matrix used in practical applications?

The ABCD matrix is used in a variety of practical applications, such as designing and analyzing transmission lines in telecommunications, power systems, and high-frequency circuits. It is also used in impedance matching and signal processing techniques to optimize the performance of transmission lines.