About electrons and the photoelectric effect

In summary, the photoelectric effect causes electrons to be released from a material, but some may re-attach to the material. For practical purposes, these electrons are usually captured again. However, for those that are cast away, their distance and fate depend on the frequency of the emitted wave. In experiments with an anode, the electrons are detected as a photocurrent, while in experiments without an anode, the electrons will travel until they bump into something.
rareEarthminerals
I understand that electrons can be released from a material, such as metal, through the photoelectric effect. I also understand that some of them might "re-attach" themselves to the metal. For practical uses, it sounds like the electrons would be re-captured in some way, but for the electrons that are cast away - how far away can they go? Do they just float around in space forever? Or can they attach to other things? If they do not attach to something else, can they "die," or are they converted to different forms of energy eventually?

I am very much a beginner to physics, but I can't seem to find an explanation of this anywhere so would appreciate any help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
rareEarthminerals said:
I understand that electrons can be released from a material, such as metal, through the photoelectric effect. I also understand that some of them might "re-attach" themselves to the metal. For practical uses, it sounds like the electrons would be re-captured in some way, but for the electrons that are cast away - how far away can they go? Do they just float around in space forever? Or can they attach to other things? If they do not attach to something else, can they "die," or are they converted to different forms of energy eventually?

I am very much a beginner to physics, but I can't seem to find an explanation of this anywhere so would appreciate any help. Thank you!

You need to figure out the rest of the setup.

The standard photoelectric effect experiment has an anode to attract the emitted photoelectrons. So these electrons just simply do not "float" endlessly. It is how we could detect the photocurrent and thus, say that there is emitted electrons.

If there is no anode source (such as in a photoemission experiment), then the electrons will simply go along the direction that they were emitted until they bump into something, usually the walls of the vacuum vessel. Most of the electrons are emitted with a net energy, so they already have a momentum in a particular direction. So again, they simply do not meander endlessly.

Zz.

Likes Zafa Pi and bhobba
rareEarthminerals said:
for the electrons that are cast away - how far away can they go?
That very much depends on the frequency provided by the source. The higher the frequency of the wave emitted, the more momentum the photo-electrons will have and thus will travel a longer distance (provided that it has not bumped into anything) than a photo-electron being emitted by a wave with the threshold frequency.

1. What are electrons?

Electrons are tiny negatively charged particles that orbit the nucleus of an atom. They are one of the fundamental components of matter and are responsible for many of the properties and behaviors of atoms and molecules.

2. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when it is exposed to light. This was first observed by Albert Einstein and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of light and the properties of electrons.

3. How does the photoelectric effect support the particle nature of light?

The photoelectric effect supports the particle nature of light by demonstrating that light consists of tiny packets of energy called photons. These photons interact with electrons in the metal and transfer their energy, causing the electrons to be emitted. This is only possible if light behaves as discrete particles rather than continuous waves.

4. What is the work function in relation to the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a metal. In the context of the photoelectric effect, it is the energy needed to overcome the attractive forces holding the electron to the metal and allow it to be emitted.

5. How is the photoelectric effect applied in technology?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications in technology, including solar panels, photodiodes, and photoelectric cells. These devices use the principles of the photoelectric effect to convert light energy into electrical energy, making them useful in a variety of electronic devices and renewable energy systems.