About groups and continuous curves

In summary: So I'm not sure if I understand what you are trying to say here. What is the meaning of curve here?A curve in the space of 2x2 matrices with complex entries can be thought of as a function that maps a real valued parameter to a matrix of the form:where each column is a continuous function. A curve in the space of SL(2,\mathbb{C}) must also satisfy the condition that C(t) is in SL(2,\mathbb{C}) for each value of the parameter t.
LCSphysicist
TL;DR Summary
Lorentz transformations
Homomorphism
Determinant
Continuous curve
Define $$\phi(A)$$ a transformation which, acting on a vector x, returns $$AxA^{*}$$, in such way that if A belongs to the group $$SL(2,C)$$, $$||\phi(A)x||^2 = ||x||^2$$, so it conserves the metric and so is a Lorentz transformation. $$\phi(AB)x = (AB)x(AB)^{*} = ABxB^{*}A^{*} = A(BxB^{*})A^{*} = \phi(A)\phi(B)x$$ so we have homomorphism too. Now:
1603188206340.png

What does it means by "be continuously joined to the identity by a curve A of matrices"? It is a geometric interpretation of what? What is the meaning of curve here? I don't get this proof

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a natural topology on [itex]SL(2, \mathbb{C})[/itex]: regard a 2x2 matrix with complex entries as a vector in [itex]\mathbb{C}^{4}[/itex] and use the toplogy induced by the standard inner product (which is equivalent to the topology induced by any norm on [itex]\mathbb{C}^4[/itex]). A continuous curve from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]B[/itex] in [itex]SL(2,\mathbb{C})[/itex] is then a function [itex]f: [0,1] \to SL(2,\mathbb{C})[/itex] with [itex]f(0) = A[/itex] and [itex]f(1) = B[/itex] which is continuous with respect to this topology.

Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
What is the meaning of curve here?
You could think of a curve in the space of 2x2 matrices with complex entries as function that maps a real valued parameter ##t## to a matrix of the form:
## C(t) = \begin{pmatrix} c_{1,1}(t)&c_{2,2}(t) \\ c_{2,1}(t)&c_{2,2}(t) \end{pmatrix}##

where each ##c_{i,j}## is a continuous function (using the definition of "continuous function" that is appropriate for complex valued functions).

A curve in the space ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})## must also satisfy the condition that ## C(t) \in SL(2,\mathbb{C}) ## for each value of the parameter ##t##.

What does it means by "be continuously joined to the identity by a curve A of matrices"?

It means for each matrix ##M \in SL(2,\mathbb{C})## we can find a curve ##C(t)## in ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})## such that ##C(0) = I## and ##C(1) = M##

I don't get this proof

I don't like the notation it uses. A clearer way to denote things is that we can express ##M## as ##B \begin{pmatrix} c&d\\0&1/c\end{pmatrix} B^{-1}##.

We assert we can find continuous complex valued functions ##a(t), b(t)## such that
##a(0) = 1, a(t) =c,\ b(0) = 0, b(1) = d##
and such that for ## 0 \le t \le 1## the matrix
##C(t) = B \begin{pmatrix} a(t) & b(t) \\ 0 & 1/a(t) \end{pmatrix} B^{=1} ##
is in ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})##. (For example, we can let ##a(t)## ever be zero.)

This constructs a curve ##C(t)## in ##SL(2,\mathbb{C})## such that ##C(0) = B^{-1}IB = I## and ##C(1) = M##.
It is a geometric interpretation of what?
I don't have a good grasp of geometry in the space of complex valued 4-tuples! To me, geometry in higher dimensional spaces is only understandable in terms of algebra - as a generalization of the algebraic forms of things used to describe geometry in lower dimensional spaces.

1. What is a group in mathematics?

A group in mathematics is a set of elements that are combined under a specific operation, such as addition or multiplication, and follow certain rules or properties. These properties include closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. How are groups used in real life?

Groups are used in many areas of mathematics and science, including algebra, geometry, physics, and computer science. They are also used in various applications, such as cryptography, coding theory, and symmetry in art and architecture.

3. What is a continuous curve?

A continuous curve is a smooth and unbroken line that can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to represent various mathematical functions and physical phenomena.

4. How are groups and continuous curves related?

Groups and continuous curves are related in the field of topology, which studies the properties of shapes and spaces. Groups can be used to classify and analyze continuous curves, and continuous curves can be used to represent and visualize groups.

5. What are some examples of continuous curves?

Some examples of continuous curves include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and sine waves. Other examples include the paths of objects in motion, such as a swinging pendulum or a rollercoaster, as well as natural phenomena like ocean waves and mountain ranges.