About magnetic momentum in quantum mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between classical and quantum mechanics in the context of the Bohr model and the concept of angular momentum. The speakers also question the accuracy of applying classical concepts to quantized angular momentum. However, it is noted that this approach is commonly used in calculations such as the Zeeman effect.
KFC
Hi all,
I have been reading lots of materials regarding the classical and quantum mechanics. The first subject I read is Bohr model, in which it is assumed the electron is in circular motion around the nucleus on the so-called orbital. I think it is semi-classical. With this assumption, we consider the moving electron is a minute current (##I##) moving on a circular plane with radius ##r## and area ##\pi r^2##. Applying the definition of angular momentum ##|L|=mvr## and other relations about circular motion, it derives the magnetic momentum as
##
\vec{\mu_B} = -\frac{e}{2m}\vec{L}
##
All derivation above makes use of the classical concept (e.g. assuming the electron is really moving on an orbit as perfect circular motion), but actually, there is no precise orbit in which electron is moving. I wonder if it is correct by simply apply above expression with ##\vec{L}## replaced with quantized angular momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
KFC said:
Hi all,
I have been reading lots of materials regarding the classical and quantum mechanics. The first subject I read is Bohr model, in which it is assumed the electron is in circular motion around the nucleus on the so-called orbital. I think it is semi-classical. With this assumption, we consider the moving electron is a minute current (##I##) moving on a circular plane with radius ##r## and area ##\pi r^2##. Applying the definition of angular momentum ##|L|=mvr## and other relations about circular motion, it derives the magnetic momentum as
##
\vec{\mu_B} = -\frac{e}{2m}\vec{L}
##
All derivation above makes use of the classical concept (e.g. assuming the electron is really moving on an orbit as perfect circular motion), but actually, there is no precise orbit in which electron is moving. I wonder if it is correct by simply apply above expression with ##\vec{L}## replaced with quantized angular momentum.
The answer is yes. If you google the Zeeman effect, you will see that this is how the calculation is performed. One of the more common uses of a magnetic moment is to see the effects that occur when it is in a magnetic field. In a first order perturbation treatment of the magnetic moment in a magnetic field, the atomic orbital electron wave function is assumed to be unaffected by the magnetic field, but an energy change occurs given by ## \Delta E=-\mu \cdot B ##.

1. What is magnetic momentum in quantum mechanics?

Magnetic momentum in quantum mechanics refers to the intrinsic magnetic properties of a quantum particle, such as an electron. It is a measure of the particle's ability to interact with magnetic fields, and is represented by the quantum mechanical operator known as the magnetic moment.

2. How is magnetic momentum different from classical magnetic moment?

Magnetic momentum in quantum mechanics is fundamentally different from classical magnetic moment, as it is a quantized property and follows the principles of quantum mechanics. In classical physics, magnetic moment is a continuous variable, while in quantum mechanics, it can only take on discrete values determined by the particle's spin and angular momentum.

3. How is magnetic momentum measured in quantum mechanics?

Magnetic momentum in quantum mechanics is typically measured through the use of a magnetic resonance technique, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) or electron spin resonance (ESR). These techniques involve applying a magnetic field to the particle and then measuring the energy levels of the particle as it interacts with the field.

4. What is the significance of magnetic momentum in quantum mechanics?

Magnetic momentum plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is a fundamental property that helps explain phenomena such as electron spin, and is also important in many technological applications, such as magnetic data storage and medical imaging.

5. Can magnetic momentum be changed or manipulated in quantum mechanics?

Yes, magnetic momentum can be changed or manipulated in quantum mechanics through the application of external magnetic fields or through interactions with other particles. This manipulation is the basis for many quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum sensing.