About nonhermiticity in plasmonic dimers

In summary: However, this behavior is not exclusive to non-Hermitian systems and can also occur in other types of systems.
Dan Zar
My questions are related to the article

"Self-hybridization within non-Hermitian localized plasmonic systems"

http://sci-hub.tw/10.1038/s41567-017-0023-6
I am aware that within the nanophotonics field, the use of precisely engineered nanoparticles in space and time leads to arrays in the form of nanoparticle dimers, oligomers, etc.. Some of these ordered arrays can even be described (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nl803811g) through hybridization models. These species exhibit various exotic optical response and intrinsic properties which are slightly different than in the single nanoparticle or disordered array, analogs.

I would like to understand the article I mentioned from an experimentalist point of view.

My only perception without having thoroughly gone through the article due to time limitations is the fact that they observe self hybridization whis is seen as some sort of overlap in their EESL spectrum, however, I do not understand how this behavior arises from non-hermiticity and what that actually means. Is this going to change the world? Thank you very much for somebody who can explain this to a chemist.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this article does not change the world. The article discusses a phenomenon in which plasmonic systems in non-Hermitian localized systems display self-hybridization behavior, which is an overlap in their EESL spectrum. This overlap is due to the fact that non-Hermitian systems have complex eigenvalues. This results in the system having more than one energy level, which can lead to the overlap observed in the EESL spectrum. In other words, when multiple energy levels are present in the system, they can interact with each other, leading to the self-hybridization effect.

1. What is nonhermiticity?

Nonhermiticity is a property of a system that does not follow the rules of Hermitian symmetry. In simpler terms, it means that the system is not symmetric under time reversal. This can be observed in systems where energy is not conserved, such as in plasmonic dimers.

2. How does nonhermiticity affect plasmonic dimers?

Nonhermiticity in plasmonic dimers can cause energy to be dissipated, resulting in a decrease in the plasmonic resonance peak and a broadening of the spectral linewidth. This can also lead to a decrease in the near-field enhancement and a change in the coupling strength between the two particles in the dimer.

3. What causes nonhermiticity in plasmonic dimers?

Nonhermiticity in plasmonic dimers can be caused by various factors, such as material losses, nonradiative decay processes, and coupling to the surrounding environment. These can all contribute to the dissipation of energy and lead to nonhermiticity in the system.

4. How can nonhermiticity be measured in plasmonic dimers?

Nonhermiticity in plasmonic dimers can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as far-field spectroscopy, near-field scanning optical microscopy, and single-particle spectroscopy. These methods can provide information about the energy dissipation and coupling strength in the dimer, which are indicators of nonhermiticity.

5. Can nonhermiticity be beneficial in plasmonic dimers?

While nonhermiticity is often considered detrimental in plasmonic systems, it can also have some benefits. For example, nonhermiticity can be used to control the plasmonic resonance and enhance the near-field intensity in certain configurations. However, it is important to carefully consider and control nonhermiticity in order to achieve the desired effects in plasmonic dimers.

Back