About stochastic process....Help please

In summary, according to the solution, the following are gaussian processes: X(2t), X(10000t), X(t+100).
hojoon yang
Given a Gaussian process X(t), identify which of the following , if any, are gaussian processes.

(a)X(2t)

solution said that X(2t) is not gaussian process, since

upload_2015-6-17_0-58-42.png

and similarly

Given Poisson process X(t)

(a) X(2t)

soultion said that X(2t) is not poisson process, since same reason above.

upload_2015-6-17_1-1-21.png

BUT

I think that in stochastic process, Time t is just constant value.

so I think X(2t), X(10000t), X(t+100) is also gaussian process ,or poisson process

doesn't care about whatever t is.

answer is?

Physics news on Phys.org
hojoon yang said:
Given a Gaussian process X(t), identify which of the following , if any, are gaussian processes.

(a)X(2t)

solution said that X(2t) is not gaussian process, since

View attachment 84875

and similarly

Given Poisson process X(t)

(a) X(2t)

soultion said that X(2t) is not poisson process, since same reason above.

View attachment 84876

BUT

I think that in stochastic process, Time t is just constant value.

so I think X(2t), X(10000t), X(t+100) is also gaussian process ,or poisson process

doesn't care about whatever t is.

answer is?

You are correct; if one looks at the usual definition of a Gaussian process, Y(t) =X(2t) satisfies the definition. However, its ##\mu## and ##\sigma## are different from those of X(t). Maybe your book uses some really weird definition of Gaussian process, but I hope not---as that would be misleading generations of students. See, eg., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_process . The same remarks apply to your Poisson process case.

Frankly, I am surprised someone would make those types of errors, because the scaling properties (of Poisson processes, in particular) are absolutely fundamental in modelling and applications.

Likes hojoon yang
Ray Vickson said:
You are correct; if one looks at the usual definition of a Gaussian process, Y(t) =X(2t) satisfies the definition. However, its ##\mu## and ##\sigma## are different from those of X(t). Maybe your book uses some really weird definition of Gaussian process, but I hope not---as that would be misleading generations of students. See, eg., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_process . The same remarks apply to your Poisson process case.

Frankly, I am surprised someone would make those types of errors, because the scaling properties (of Poisson processes, in particular) are absolutely fundamental in modelling and applications.

Thanks for reply vickson!

What is a stochastic process?

A stochastic process is a mathematical model that represents the random evolution of a system over time. It is a collection of random variables indexed by a certain parameter, such as time.

What are the types of stochastic processes?

There are several types of stochastic processes, including discrete-time processes, continuous-time processes, and Markov processes. Discrete-time processes are defined at discrete points in time, while continuous-time processes are defined at any point in time. Markov processes are a type of stochastic process in which the next state only depends on the current state and not on any previous states.

What is a random walk?

A random walk is a type of stochastic process where the random variable takes steps in random directions at each time step. It is often used to model the behavior of a particle or a stock price over time.

What are the applications of stochastic processes?

Stochastic processes have numerous applications in various fields, such as finance, physics, biology, and engineering. They are commonly used to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior over time.

How can I learn more about stochastic processes?

There are many resources available for learning about stochastic processes, including textbooks, online courses, and academic journals. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of probability theory before delving into stochastic processes.