About the “Axiom of Dependent Choice”

In summary, the "Axiom of Dependent Choice" states that for any nonempty set and entire binary relation on that set, there exists a sequence satisfying certain conditions. This axiom is useful in real analysis when constructing sequences and is weaker than the full Axiom of Choice. While most mathematicians may use the full Axiom of Choice for convenience, logicians and set theorists are interested in finding the weakest assumptions needed for various mathematical arguments.
steenis
I learned something new today: the “Axiom of Dependent Choice”:

The axiom can be stated as follows: For every nonempty set ##X## and every entire binary relation ##R## on ##X##, there exists a sequence ##(x_n)_{ n \in \mathbb{N} }## in ##X## such that ##x_nRx_{n+1}## for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. (Here, an entire binary relation on ##X## is one where for every ##a \in X##, there exists a ##b \in X## such that ##aRb##.)

See Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_of_dependent_choice

I want to ask here: what is your experience with this axiom? Did you ever use the “Axiom of Dependent Choice”, how and why?

Likes member 587159
Physics news on Phys.org
I have not heard of it, but can see why it would be useful. Sometimes in real analysis one wants to make a sequence in which the next element is different from the current one. Using the relation ##\neq## and the above axiom, one can assert the existence of such a sequence in any set with two or more elements, as the relation is entire if there are more than two elements.

There was a proof that was being discussed on here the other day that needed something like that. Unfortunately I can't remember the context, other than it was real analysis - probably something about sequences. Not knowing about this axiom, I just said we had to assume AC - assuming it needed the full version.

It sounds from the wiki article like this axiom is strictly weaker than AC. It would be nice if it allowed one to recover most of the popular results of real analysis without having to accept the Banach-Tarski conundrum, or the theorem that every set can be well-ordered as a conclusion. I wonder if it is weak enough to prevent either or both of those.

I think most mathematicians use the full axiom of choice, or some of its more useful equivalents such as Zorn's lemma, when they need this kind of arguments, even in cases where the axiom of dependent choice would suffice. Because what is important fot most mathematicians is to get job done, not investigate which are the weakest assumptions necessary. It is mainly logicians, set theorists et al who are interested in the latter.

What is the Axiom of Dependent Choice?

The Axiom of Dependent Choice, also known as the Axiom of Countable Choice, is a mathematical principle that states that given a countable number of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set in a way that is consistent. In other words, it allows for the selection of an infinite number of elements in a sequence, as long as each element depends on the previous one.

Why is the Axiom of Dependent Choice important?

The Axiom of Dependent Choice is important because it allows for the construction of mathematical proofs involving sequences that may be infinite or uncountable. It also has many applications in fields such as analysis, topology, and set theory, making it a fundamental tool in mathematics.

Is the Axiom of Dependent Choice always true?

No, the Axiom of Dependent Choice is an axiom, which means it is a statement that is assumed to be true without needing to be proven. However, there are mathematical systems, such as intuitionistic logic, in which the Axiom of Dependent Choice is not valid.

What is the difference between the Axiom of Dependent Choice and the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice is a more general principle that states that given any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set. The Axiom of Dependent Choice is a specific case of the Axiom of Choice, where the sets are countable and the choice of elements is dependent on previous choices.

How is the Axiom of Dependent Choice used in mathematics?

The Axiom of Dependent Choice is used in many areas of mathematics, such as topology, set theory, and analysis. It allows for the construction of mathematical proofs involving infinite or uncountable sets and sequences, making it an essential tool in many mathematical theories and constructions.