Why Do Different Objects Share Similar Moments of Inertia?

In summary, the conversation discusses the similar moments of inertia of different objects, specifically a thin disk, cylinder, and hoop. It is found that the moment of inertia for each object is the same when rotating about its own axis. The explanation for this is that the hoop can be thought of as a pile of disks, while also considering the thickness of the disks to be constant. Alternatively, the perpendicular axis theorem can also be used to explain the phenomenon.
Cha0t1c
Hello, I am a computer science major and Ex-Biology grad student, my knowledge in physics is humble, but I got a little curious when my professor derived the expressions of moment of inertia for different objects.

The moment of Inertia of a thin disk is 1/2MR2, but it is the same as the moment of Inertia for a cylinder and, surprisingly, the same for a thin hoop rotating about its diameter. So, in short:

I disk/perpendicular to axis of rotation = I Cylinder/perpendicular to axis of rotation= I thin hoop/through diameter

QUESTION:
How do we explain the similar moments of Inertia of the different objects?

My hypothesis concerning the moment of inertia of the thin hoop:
The hoop is rotating about its own diameter, if we take any point on the hoop and project its rotation on a plane perpendicular to the axis of rotation, we'll end up with a circle. Now, if we do the to every point on the hoop, we end up with a disk. Hence, the similar moment of inertia between the disk and the hoop!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

$$I\equiv \int r^2\, dm$$
Disk and cylinder are the same because it's the same integral.
You can also think of a cylinder as a pile of disks,

Hoop is a little different. For your scenario you still have to show that the thickness of the 'disks' is a constant ...

Or, you could consider that the hoop is a planar object and use the perpendicular axis theorem

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property that depends on an object's mass distribution and the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated using the formula I = ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the element of mass dm. This integral is taken over the entire mass distribution of the object. For simple shapes, there are specific formulas that can be used to calculate the moment of inertia.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units of mass and distance used in the calculation. In SI units, the moment of inertia is measured in kg*m².

4. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia determines how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion. Objects with larger moments of inertia require more torque to accelerate or decelerate their rotation, while objects with smaller moments of inertia can change their rotational motion more easily.

5. How is the moment of inertia related to an object's shape?

The moment of inertia is directly related to an object's shape and mass distribution. Objects with more mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation will have larger moments of inertia. Additionally, the moment of inertia is affected by the axis of rotation - an object will have different moments of inertia depending on which axis it is rotating around.