About the Quality factor

• Thread starter Xoxo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, the Quality factor Q can be defined as the ratio of energy stored at resonance to energy loss per cycle. For high Q resonators, it can also be described as the ratio of resonance frequency to 3dB bandwidth. This equivalence can be proven for second-order systems that can be described as effective series- or parallel LCR resonant circuits near resonance, but it is an approximation for real circuits and may not hold for systems with nonlinear elements or heavily distorted resonances.
Xoxo
Hello all,

It's known that the Quality factor Q is defined as :

Q = 2*pi*(Energy stored at resonance) / (Energy loss per cycle)

and for high Q resonators, It's known that Q can be also given by :

Q = Resonance frequency / 3dB Bandwidth

My question is, How can i prove that ? that both expressions of Q are equivalent if Q is large enough ?
I can prove it for many circuits, but i want a general rigorous proof of that.

Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Q is a quality factor and not a precision measure.
There are situations where the different definitions converge.

See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor#Physical_interpretation
“ The factors Q, damping ratio ζ, attenuation rate α, and exponential time constant τ are related such that: [12] ”
Reference [12]. Siebert, William McC. Circuits, Signals, and Systems. MIT Press.

Likes Xoxo
Xoxo said:
How can i prove that ? that both expressions of Q are equivalent if Q is large enough ?
I believe I have shown this holds for a second-order system, with series R- L-C.

Its TF involves the term ##\dfrac 1 {s^2\ +\ \frac {\omega_o} Q s\ +\ {\omega_o}^2}##

Likes dakeeper and Xoxo
NascentOxygen said:
I believe I have shown this holds for a second-order system, with series R- L-C.

Its TF involves the term ##\dfrac 1 {s^2\ +\ \frac {\omega_o} Q s\ +\ {\omega_o}^2}##
Where did you show this holds for 2nd order RLC circuits ?

Xoxo said:
Where did you show this holds for 2nd order RLC circuits ?
Sorry. I meant that I believe it can be shown to be true. :smile:

I'd start like this:
Apply a voltage to the circuit at the resonant frequency and see what current flows. All losses occur in the resistance.

NascentOxygen said:
Sorry. I meant that I believe it can be shown to be true. :smile:

I'd start like this:
Apply a voltage to the circuit at the resonant frequency and see what current flows. All losses occur in the resistance.
I know, i can prove that, my question is that i want a general proof assuming the circuit is a black box

Xoxo said:
I know, i can prove that, my question is that i want a general proof assuming the circuit is a black box
A black box containing any general nth order linear system, do you mean?

Likes Xoxo
NascentOxygen said:
A black box containing any general nth order linear system, do you mean?

yes

Xoxo said:
yes

The most "general" way of doing this would be to start with say the ABCD matix for a two-port systems and then derive an expression for S21 near resonance; this would then give you the results you want.
However, in order to do so you STILL need to make some assumptions about the circuit; and these assumptions basically amount to assuming that the circuit can be described as an effective series- or parallell LCR-resonant circuit (near resonance). Note that this does NOT mean that the resonator is made up of discrete component; the same procedure works for e.g. cavity resonators or lambda/2 and lambda/4 resonators.

Moreover, the 3-dB "rule" for the Q value of a resonance is not a general result; it ONLY works for circuits that can be described as a 2nd order RCL circuit (which fortunately includes most systems of interest). It does not work for systems which e.g. include non-linear elements (which skews the resonance) or systems where the resonance is heavily distorted for some other reason (because it e.g. is coupling to other spurious modes in the circuit), For any real circuit it is an approximation at best. I never use it for any "serious" measurements.

Likes Xoxo
f95toli said:
The most "general" way of doing this would be to start with say the ABCD matix for a two-port systems and then derive an expression for S21 near resonance; this would then give you the results you want.
However, in order to do so you STILL need to make some assumptions about the circuit; and these assumptions basically amount to assuming that the circuit can be described as an effective series- or parallell LCR-resonant circuit (near resonance). Note that this does NOT mean that the resonator is made up of discrete component; the same procedure works for e.g. cavity resonators or lambda/2 and lambda/4 resonators.

Moreover, the 3-dB "rule" for the Q value of a resonance is not a general result; it ONLY works for circuits that can be described as a 2nd order RCL circuit (which fortunately includes most systems of interest). It does not work for systems which e.g. include non-linear elements (which skews the resonance) or systems where the resonance is heavily distorted for some other reason (because it e.g. is coupling to other spurious modes in the circuit), For any real circuit it is an approximation at best. I never use it for any "serious" measurements.

You're my hero :D
That's what i want, thank you

1. What is the Quality Factor (Q factor)?

The Quality factor, also known as Q value, is a measure of the efficiency of an oscillating system. It describes how much energy is lost by the system per cycle relative to the energy stored in the system.

2. How is the Quality Factor calculated?

The Quality Factor is calculated by dividing the resonant frequency of the system by its bandwidth. The resonant frequency is the frequency at which the system oscillates most efficiently, and the bandwidth is the range of frequencies over which the system oscillates.

3. What is the significance of the Quality Factor in different systems?

The Quality Factor has different implications in different systems. In mechanical systems, it represents the rate at which vibrations decay. In electrical systems, it represents the ratio of reactive power to active power. In acoustics, it represents the sharpness of resonance in a system.

4. How does the Quality Factor affect the performance of a system?

The Quality Factor affects the performance of a system in several ways. A higher Q factor indicates a more efficient and stable system, with less energy loss and a sharper resonance. However, a very high Q factor can also lead to a longer settling time and a narrower bandwidth.

5. How can the Quality Factor be improved in a system?

The Quality Factor can be improved by reducing energy losses in the system. This can be achieved by minimizing friction and damping, using high-quality materials, and optimizing the design of the system. Additionally, a higher Q factor can be achieved by increasing the resonant frequency or decreasing the bandwidth of the system.