About wavefronts/wavelets and the formation of plane waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of waveforms in relation to photography and how they are explained in a book. It is mentioned that in an isotropic homogeneous medium, light spreads out in all directions and forms new wavelets with a slight curl behind the wavefront. This curl allows for the formation of plane waves and ensures that the new waves are in phase with each other. The conversation also suggests further research on the topic through the use of the term "Huygens wavelet."
icor1031
The photography book I have talks about waveforms, but it doesn't do a good job of explaining them.

So, here's my understanding from the book and google searches (it could be unbelievably wrong.)

In an isotropic homogenous medium, light will spread out in all directions, essentially forming a large circle/ball. About at peak amplitude for each oscillation, new wavelets form. Those wavelets form slightly behind the wavefront, and have a slight curl to them.

When those new wavelets form, they propagate in at least a semi-circular pattern. (that is, they don't go just straight-ahead.)

This curl is how plane waves form:

That curl is why a plane wave is able to form: otherwise, the new waves which are now perpendicular to and moving in the same direction as other waves, would slightly lag its fellow waves and be out of phase. The curl makes them lag precisely the amount necessary to be in-phase.

An image from "The Manual of Photography"
hLfl0.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You're digging deeper into the theory than your photography book, but if you google for "Huygens wavelet" you'll find much good information. Try working through some of this, and if you hot some hard spots we can help you over them.

From my google search on your term, it looks like I was basically correct? Although I might have the phase issue wrong.

:)

1. What is a wavefront?

A wavefront is the imaginary surface that connects all points of a wave that are in the same phase. It represents the crest or trough of a wave at a specific moment in time.

2. How are wavefronts formed?

Wavefronts are formed when a wave is emitted from a point source and spreads out in all directions. The points on the wave that are in the same phase will create a continuous surface, known as the wavefront.

3. What is the relationship between wavefronts and plane waves?

In a plane wave, the wavefronts are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This means that all points on the wave are in the same phase and the wavefronts form a plane surface.

4. What are wavelets?

Wavelets are short, localized waveforms that can be used to construct larger, more complex waves. They are typically used in signal processing and can be thought of as building blocks for more intricate waveforms.

5. How are plane waves formed from wavelets?

Plane waves can be formed by combining an infinite number of wavelets with different frequencies and amplitudes. When these wavelets are summed together, they create a continuous plane wave with a specific frequency and amplitude.