Absolute meaning of spatial deviaton angle of light around the sun

In summary, the absolute meaning of spatial deviation angle of light around the sun refers to the angle at which light rays are bent as they pass through the Earth's atmosphere. This phenomenon is caused by the Earth's curved surface and the varying density of air, resulting in the appearance of the sun being higher or lower in the sky than its actual position. This angle is important in understanding and predicting atmospheric conditions, as well as determining the position of celestial bodies in the sky.
wnvl2
TL;DR Summary
Clarification sought for the absolute meaning of the deviaton angle of light as calculated by Einstein around the sun
Einstein first calculated the bending of light rays that are touching the sun as 1.75 arc-sec. For the calculation I refer e.g. to https://www.mathpages.com/rr/s8-09/8-09.htm

I know that spatial angles in general relativity don’t have an intrinsic value (are not invariant). They are dependent on the choice of the coordinate system. Angles can be calculated using

$$\cos\theta = \frac{a^{i}b_{i}}{\sqrt{a^{i}a_{i}b^{i}b_{i}}}$$

with i indexing only the spatial components.

I would have expected that the outcome is determined by the chosen coordinate system with associated metrics and that his value has no physical meaning if you don't know which coordinate system + associated metric was chosen. But apparently that 1.75 arc sec seems to have some absolute meaning without having to specify the coordinate system. Is there any assumption I am missing?

In this context I would also like to refer to Einstein’s hole argument. By changing the coordinate system in a hole I would expect to obtain a different total deflection angle.

Physics news on Phys.org
wnvl2 said:
In this context I would also like to refer to Einstein’s hole argument. By changing the coordinate system in a hole I would expect to obtain a different total deflection angle.
The calculation in the given coordinate system results in a prediction for a local observation on Earth. If you change the coordinate system, you must end up with the same local measurement. For example, if we could find a coordinate system where the light was not deflected, then the worldline of the observer with the telescope on Earth would be more complicated - such that the local measurement would be the same. I.e. the orientation of the telescope on Earth, relative to the Earth's surface, as measured locally, would be the same in order to detect the starlight.

The chosen coordinates merely give the simplest way of calculating the required orientation of the telescope. The deflection angle, although not invariant, is meaningful to observers on Earth using the rest frame of the Sun to analyse the solar system.

Likes vanhees71 and wnvl2
zon1.gif
zon2.gif

If in both situations (with and without sun) the coordinate system + metric locally at the Earth and the star are the same (Minkowski at Earth and star), then the total deflection of the light between star and Earth calculated by integrating all instantaneous deviations of the light (that is how Einstein does the calculation in the link in my first message) over the full traject between star and earthwill be the same independent of the coordinate system (+ corresponding metric acoording to Ein,stein equations) chosen in between Earth and star.

I mean that for some part of the traject (a hole) I can choose a very exotic coordinate system (+ corresponding metric determined by the Einstein equations) as long as it fits at the boundary, I will find mathematically exactly the same deviation.

1. What is the absolute meaning of spatial deviation angle of light around the sun?

The absolute meaning of spatial deviation angle of light around the sun refers to the angular distance between the position of the sun in the sky and its actual position in space. This angle is measured in degrees and can be affected by various factors such as atmospheric conditions and the curvature of the Earth.

2. How is the spatial deviation angle of light around the sun calculated?

The spatial deviation angle of light around the sun is calculated using trigonometry. It involves measuring the angular distance between the sun's observed position and its actual position in space, taking into account the observer's location and the curvature of the Earth.

3. What causes the spatial deviation angle of light around the sun?

The spatial deviation angle of light around the sun is caused by the phenomenon known as atmospheric refraction. This is when light passing through the Earth's atmosphere is bent due to the varying density of air, causing objects to appear higher or lower in the sky than their actual position in space.

4. Does the spatial deviation angle of light around the sun change throughout the day?

Yes, the spatial deviation angle of light around the sun can change throughout the day. This is because atmospheric conditions and the curvature of the Earth can vary, causing the angle to fluctuate. Additionally, the sun's position in the sky also changes throughout the day, affecting the angle of deviation.

5. How does the spatial deviation angle of light around the sun affect our perception of sunrise and sunset?

The spatial deviation angle of light around the sun can affect our perception of sunrise and sunset by causing the sun to appear higher or lower in the sky than its actual position. This can result in the sun appearing to rise earlier or set later than its true position, leading to discrepancies between the observed and actual times of sunrise and sunset.